ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Screenshot_1591691409.png
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that I've published v2.3.1 to the beta channel. I'm planning to keep this update in beta mode for several weeks while observing stability and tuning the performance; later, I'll make it public. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app's page.

Here are the main improvements in v2.3.1
  • Update of aircraft severity computation
    No more continually appearing and disappearing planes if they fly precisely at the vertical boundary. In the new update, the app defines a "kill zone" - a set of all possible aircraft positions from where your car is visible. The severity is determined based on how long it would take for an aircraft to reach that area (considering both h- and v-speeds). E.g., five dots, if already in it, four dots if up to 30 seconds is needed to get there, three dots for up to a minute, and so on. The exact numbers depend on the sensitivity preference value.
  • Options for non-linear severity computation for police alerts
    In previous versions, the severity was determined based on the ratio of the distance to the report to the maximum alerting distance. A linear law was used. E.g., if the max alerting distance is 2.5 miles, you have one dot on the 2-2.5mi range, two dots on the 1.5-2mi range, three dots on 1-1.5mi range and so on. In the new version, you may choose these distances. For example, you may prefer the exponential law when severity increases after you pass half of the distance remaining. You may set up arbitrary rules for determining the number of dots. All you need is to set the proportion from the max alerting distance for each severity value.
  • Option for the mute button to mute only one alert for each tap
    It is often preferable not to mute all alerts with the mute button. v2.3.1 adds an option to configure the mute button to mute only the first alert.
  • Heading (direction) indicators
    Now all alerts have direction indicators showing where an officer/aircraft/hazard is pointing to. Especially useful for understanding aircraft moving direction.
  • Option to start other application together with service start
    I know a lot of people prefer using HwR with another app (e.g., GMaps or Waze). Now HwR provides an option to start another application once the service is started. There are four possible ways of starting another application
    • Preload - start the external app and return to HwR, leaving the external application in the background. Useful for Waze as it starts much faster being preloaded when you want to submit a report.
    • Split-screen - start the external app side-by-side with HwR.
    • Foreground (HwR in PIP) - start the external application leaving HwR in PIP mode. PIP must be enabled for this.
    • Foreground (no PIP) - start the external application leaving HwR completely in the background.
  • Option to control displaying of aircraft outside of alerting area
    For example, known enforcement aircraft can be displayed even if way too far away for an audible alert.
  • Option to alert on airplanes or helicopters only
    Some states use only one type of aircraft for speed enforcement. Filtering out others may help with reducing the number of false alerts. Aircraft with unknown type will always be displayed.
  • An updated 25-score risk score
    Now it is a bit harder to interpret but much smoother, and the scores themselves make much more sense. The 10-score model is untouched.
  • Updated heat map to give more weight to recent reports
    For a quicker painting of new trap spots
  • Enlarged reset zoom button in map mode
  • Fixed weird overlay of mute and Waze buttons on small screens and in split-screen mode when dark buttons enabled
This is quite an early release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).

So, stay healthy and have fun! And special thanks to those 104 people switched to the beta update channel!

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Love the update! Thanks for adding that pop up spilt screen. I asked for that before and it's added now. Now I don't have to manually add VVase to my split screen. The other options I still have to see what it can do. By the way, I stopped using my voice control. I honestly don't use voice control on my phone because at times it does not pick up on what I am saying. So, I stopped using voice control. Though, I'm sure it's helpful for others. Thanks as always for making this app a very useful counter measure for all of us! You Rock!

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Love the update! Thanks for adding that pop up spilt screen. I asked for that before and it's added now. Now I don't have to manually add VVase to my split screen. The other options I still have to see what it can do. By the way, I stopped using my voice control. I honestly don't use voice control on my phone because at times it does not pick up on what I am saying. So, I stopped using voice control. Though, I'm sure it's helpful for others. Thanks as always for making this app a very useful counter measure for all of us! You Rock!
Thanks for your feedback. I agree that not everyone should like voice control. I hated it in Waze either, for example. Everything that voice control can do, is achievable without it, so it is okay to just disable it completely.

UnderCover

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Is there a way you can add a box to customize a quick button app?
For example, Since HR and VVaze is both up and running and I would like to make a phone call... I have to swipe away or use the back button to get to the home screen and press the call icon to make the call.
If you can possibly add a customized quick button app... Anyone can add an app/icon to access what they want to use quickly. In my case, my speed dialer. Once the quick button app is used it would automatically return to HR. Hmmmm... Just an idea I thought about and for something you can try to add on if it's possible. Thanks again as always!

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way you can add a box to customize a quick button app?
For example, Since HR and VVaze is both up and running and I would like to make a phone call... I have to swipe away or use the back button to get to the home screen and press the call icon to make the call.
If you can possibly add a customized quick button app... Anyone can add an app/icon to access what they want to use quickly. In my case, my speed dialer. Once the quick button app is used it would automatically return to HR. Hmmmm... Just an idea I thought about and for something you can try to add on if it's possible. Thanks again as always!
Didn't you consider using something like this?

UnderCover

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can give that a shot. Thanks for the idea!
My phone had a setting for floating apps. I forgot that I had it and I set it up.

Last edited:

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a cosmetic question for you. If you look at the screenshot in the first post the helicopter air airplane warnings have a warning triangle preceeding the aircraft type, whereas the police alerts (only seen on the arrows view) don't. Now that we have an almost-triangular heading arrow in that area in this version, do you think the warning triangle is superfluous and the display would be cleaner without it, so you can more clearly see the heading?

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I have a cosmetic question for you. If you look at the screenshot in the first post the helicopter air airplane warnings have a warning triangle preceeding the aircraft type, whereas the police alerts (only seen on the arrows view) don't. Now that we have an almost-triangular heading arrow in that area in this version, do you think the warning triangle is superfluous and the display would be cleaner without it, so you can more clearly see the heading?
Well, the triangle means "it is known LEO aircraft", while no triangle means "Unknown aircraft". However, I agree with you point that probably now, when we have the owner visible, the triangle might be redundant.

Reactions: plm

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well, the triangle means "it is known LEO aircraft", while no triangle means "Unknown aircraft". However, I agree with you point that probably now, when we have the owner visible, the triangle might be redundant.
The more you learn! I guess I don't see many unknown aircraft given where I live, so I'd assumed that all aircraft got the triangle.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
The more you learn! I guess I don't see many unknown aircraft given where I live, so I'd assumed that all aircraft got the triangle.
I decided I'll remove the triangle and add the "(?)" to unknown aircraft.

jcaptchaos2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice Job Thank You

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey @ferius , Is there any way to add settings which would allow a forced volume for alerts? When I'm listening to music, HR alerts play over music at about 50% volume. I've tried in the phone settings but cant seem to solve this.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hey @ferius , Is there any way to add settings which would allow a forced volume for alerts? When I'm listening to music, HR alerts play over music at about 50% volume. I've tried in the phone settings but cant seem to solve this.
Hi, try toggling with "Play alert sound as alarm", it may help. Also ensure you have "Reset system volume on service start" set.
I've actually seen your problem myself on Ford's AAuto, isn't this your case?

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi, try toggling with "Play alert sound as alarm", it may help. Also ensure you have "Reset system volume on service start" set.
I've actually seen your problem myself on Ford's AAuto, isn't this your case?
I haven't noticed that on my mom's Ford AAuto, I'm just running through a usb c to aux cord in am old deck.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see any reports not in my immediate vicinity. Is there a way I can see aircraft reports (or other reports) from 100s of miles away just for my own testing purposes?

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi, that is how the app is designed to work. If you want check police/aircraft data for miles away, you can use any GPS fake location app for that. Just teleport yourself to the place you're interested in.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef