Long Delay in Connecting

Matthewstorm

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
JBV1 is now taking minutes to connect. Auto connect is enabled as well as Bluetooth and WiFi start. Most times I have to manually start it. Any ideas?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How far is the dongle from the phone? Check your autostart settings and either clear the B/T and JBV1 caches, or do a reinstall.

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
About 2 feet.
How do I clear the BT cache?
Thanks.
Go to:
Apps > 3 vertical dots in upper right corner > show system processes > look for "Bluetooth" or something that is not a Bluetooth app you've downloaded, tap on it and then tap on "Storage" and then on "Clear Cache".

Last edited:

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Turn off the extra Bluetooth and Wifi start options you might have set up for your car.
The polling rate for those might not be very often.

Use the original V1 detection method only and I think your issues will be gone.

If you are wanting to use Bluetooth to start JBV1 in another vehicle without your V1, there are options under the Standalone section in Settings > Connection. :)

Attachments

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
JBV1 is now taking minutes to connect. Auto connect is enabled as well as Bluetooth and WiFi start. Most times I have to manually start it. Any ideas?
Why do you have all three auto start triggers enabled for the same car?

As @Bloovy One said, disable the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi start triggers for V1 mode and use only the V1 trigger. If it then doesn't connect within seconds of your V1 powering up nearby, try disabling the Oreo+ option in Connection > Advanced.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Turn off the extra Bluetooth and Wifi start options you might have set up for your car.
The polling rate for those might not be very often.
Auto start on BT and Wi-Fi connections is event driven (no polling). Android notifies the app when either event has occurred.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

BMWBig6

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand the options, is the V1 trigger the preferred method for G2 units, but it uses a little more power than the other methods because it's continuously polling? Why or when would we use the BT or WiFi (just to conserve that extra 2% of power)?

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. I've only ever used the standard V1 connection method myself. I use the 3 second delay so that it's not instant.
(I do though have a Bluetooth trigger for offline mode in my Wife's car)

It's my belief that Matthew was trying to figure out the battery usage of JBV1 waiting for a V1 for a couple of days and in trying other triggers he has induced a large delay somewhere.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand the options, is the V1 trigger the preferred method for G2 units, but it uses a little more power than the other methods because it's continuously polling? Why or when would we use the BT or WiFi (just to conserve that extra 2% of power)?
For LE devices, the V1 trigger is best for quick starts. There's no polling in the V1 LE trigger either--not by the app anyway. The V1 trigger tells Android to initiate a low-power BLE scan that looks only for V1 devices (Gen2 or LE dongle) that match your LE V1 devices enabled for auto start. Android lets the app know when it has found one. This scan does not use very much power, even when running 24x7.

For non-LE dongles, there is polling, but only if your phone is paired to a non-LE dongle that's enabled for auto start. You should unpair from your phone any non-LE V1 dongles no longer in use, so the non-LE dongle polling will never occur.

BT auto start does not even require the JBV1 service to remain alive, but it may take longer to trigger. It may also trigger at the wrong time. For example, when I remote start my car, the radio powers up but V1 does not. V1 comes on after I push the start button to begin driving. If I enabled BT auto start for my car radio, the app would wake up and try to connect to V1 before V1 is powered up.

With the Wi-Fi trigger, my phone may not switch away from my home network until I'm out of my driveway, so that's a poor choice as well. Wi-Fi auto start is intended mostly for dedicated phones that aren't connected to a BT car radio, and for which auto start should be delayed until there's Internet connectivity.

BMWBig6

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification and detailed explanation for each of the modes!

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Great info Johnboy00!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member