Got hit with a laser in NJ

mookie1288

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got hit with a laser on the turnpike. I have an Uniden R7. now I totally understand its a "radar detector" and not a "laser detector" but I feel like even if it was too late or not I should have at least gotten a laser notification but I guess not. He said I was going 94 in a 65 I didn't even realize I was going that fast. He "cut me a break" and wrote 84 instead so I will take it because its better than nothing but damn for a R7 I was at least hoping to at least get a laser notification whether it was too late or not. Definitely have to look into laser jammers :/

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I got hit with a laser on the turnpike. I have an Uniden R7. now I totally understand its a "radar detector" and not a "laser detector" but I feel like even if it was too late or not I should have at least gotten a laser notification but I guess not. He said I was going 94 in a 65 I didn't even realize I was going that fast. He "cut me a break" and wrote 84 instead so I will take it because its better than nothing but damn for a R7 I was at least hoping to at least get a laser notification whether it was too late or not. Definitely have to look into laser jammers :/
Unidens are known as not sensitive to lidar. V1 and Whistlers pick up laser very well.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yikes! you could lawyer up, and get it reduced.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Jammers are your only real electronic CM.

Relying on a RD to save you from laser is like investing your retirement money into the lottery. Great if it works, but not likely.

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the ticket. It’s no surprises your R7 didn’t go off. They are terrible with detecting laser. My R1 has only detected one laser hit and I’ve been hit at least 7 times.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
On the turnpike it's either C/O ka or lidar and trust me.... those lidar shots are deadly. Get ALPs or TMG's since NJSP uses easier guns to combat.

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Advanced User
Reaction score
My R7 absolutely alerts well to laser...
On my motorcycle....
Aimed at center of mass at detector...
300 - 500 meters away...
My F150 up against the headliner top of winshield? Never.
Sorry to hear about the ticket.
I'm saving for jammers as well.

fishing66

Advanced User
Reaction score
Enter a plea of "not guilty". NJ has an alternative charge you can plead guilty to, "Unsafe operation of a motor vehicle". It carries no points and does not count as a moving violation. The downside is that the bastages make you pay $250.00 extra to enter that plea on top of what the original ticket, court costs etc would have amounted to. Still better than having points on your license.

YashP27

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What part of the turnpike? Was in NJSP?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I got directly shot with laser about three weeks ago. My laser sensor heads detected it, but my R7 mounted up by my rear view mirror did not alert at all.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was at least hoping to at least get a laser notification whether it was too late or not.
The lidar gun shoots a narrow laser light. Consequently, for example, if your RD is mounted very high on the windshield and the laser light from the lidar gun hits your car in a very low area, it is most probable that your RD may not see the laser light.

Stay safe.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef