Can someone please explain?

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a V1 in EU mode with Custom sweeps, K band was off at the time.
I got a weak Ka hit (twice) and that's it, was the officer beaming oncoming traffic and I only got a reflection? Was he doing instant on?
Was he using one of those new mode radar units?
This was North Carolina See Video

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If he was shooting oncoming traffic with C/O, you would have picked him up a long way away, even if his rear antenna wasn’t On. I’m going to guess I/O, but he saw you either change to the left lane or that a car was in the left lane and decided to get a reading. You weren’t going much faster than the red SUV in the center lane when you got hit first, so he wasn’t going to ticket on that readout anyway is my inclination. Call it a lucky dodge.

Also, some places in the Carolinas still use K, so why are you driving with K Off, especially on the highway where you might have some old sheriff car with K waiting to nab someone passing through their town limits? Just wondering.

Oh, and are you gonna pay that $200 for those community perks? 😜

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The V1 Gen2 does sometimes like to initially report Ka alerts as weak before ramping up to full strength, even at close range. I've seen it on the bench, but I wasn't sure now prevalent it was in practice with officers a few hundred feet away. For a longer duration alert, it will ramp-up to full strength though, but not for a brief one. Now you've got me curious to see if I can replicate this behavior...

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
What frequency was the alert? And what custom sweeps are you running?

That alert didn't seem like it was from the LEO, possibly a well-timed false from a nearby leaky detector.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The V1 Gen2 does sometimes like to initially report Ka alerts as weak before ramping up to full strength, even at close range. I've seen it on the bench, but I wasn't sure now prevalent it was in practice with officers a few hundred feet away. Now you've got me curious to see if I can replicate this behavior...
Are we sure he’s a gen 2 user? When he said Eu mode, that led me to believe he’s gen 1 with Custom Sweeps as doing so on the gen 2 isn’t necessary anymore I thought based on discussions... I could be wrong though.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Are we sure he’s a gen 2 user? When he said Eu mode, that led me to believe he’s gen 1 with Custom Sweeps as doing so on the gen 2 isn’t necessary anymore I thought based on discussions... I could be wrong though.
Ah good point, I assumed that, but he may be running a Gen1. Which version V1 are you using @Sky1?

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What frequency was the alert? And what custom sweeps are you running?

That alert didn't seem like it was from the LEO, possibly a well-timed false from a nearby leaky detector.
I’ve had those bleeps like that when I tried Ka Guard Off on my gen 1. It got annoying... if he has that Off as well, it very well could have been what you said as it behaved similarly.

The thing is, the second he crested the slight hill in the left lane, he got hit. You can see the cop a second or two before the first hit.... hmmm. It is interesting.

Last edited:

hiddencam

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was very likely two quick I/O shots at 2 vehicles coming the other way.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve watched the video several times. I don’t know. At one time or another, all of my detectors have done things I question - is it working ? Why a short range? ..what is going on?.....etc. this definitely fits that category. My first reaction was you got a K false but you said K was off.

if this was a 33.8 Ka, then it was a false (cobra) because NCHP mainly use Kustom Signals golden eagles 35.5 with some stalkers 34.7. Were you running an app where you can go back and check the frequency?

the only scenario that fits seems to be forward facing radar- not rear pointed at you. There is not a barrier in front of him so he could make a left through the grass. But why radar cars from across a median? Makes no sense.

Changing subjects -was this on 540? I saw the Falls of Neuse Rd sign. Be careful having K off. I’ve run into K band in northeastern Wake County in the hwy 264 corridor between Knightdale and Zebulon- these I believe were Wake County sheriffs.

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
^^^ The sound warning was Ka band in the video. Do you have a V1? You should have recognized the sound.

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all that responded. Yeah it is a later model Gen1 detector I forgot and left K off. I don't consider myself a speed demon, so use a detector just as a precaution and want one as quiet as possible even if it sacrifices some protections.

I set up YAVI to do a pre-canned custom sweep. with it. I don't remember what else is set on it. I started changing some settings as I noticed a YourSpeed sign wasn't being detected at all so I just re-enabled it and got pathetic range from that as well. Only a hundred feet further than me being picked up by the sign. I started to do a video on that and decided to just order a Gen2 unit. I know the unit works though I typically get Ka alerts pretty far in advanced, this is something odd. Maybe it was just a false alert and he wasn't beaming radar at all./

Can the Gen 2 units be upgraded via a phone link connection or will they have to be sent in?

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The plan is for an app (to be released) to update firmware on the Gen2. If there are any future hardware changes, it would have to be sent in of course. :)

When you get your Gen2, I'd highly suggest you try it in Logic (small L) mode and maybe leave the rest as is at first. There's been a lot of changes since YaV1!

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you Bloovy I will. I found a video I had of my detector picking up Ka around a turn by a moving State Police cruiser. It sees radar at 10:45

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sneaky LEO! I forgot you were in NC as well!

Last edited:

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
NC highway = I/O for the most part. I honestly don’t remember the last time I saw active C/O enforcement on a NC highway.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I see C/O about 50% of the time in the WNC.

Last edited:

oddpedestrian

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I/O from NCHP some are good most are sloppy, Waze really helps. If you were running Waze he would have been definitely marked.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cobber