1st time using V1.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I started out making an across town trip to drop the dog off at doggie daycare/hotel. I tried using JBV1 bu, to me it was too confusing and complicated. I intend to figure it all out. But, for the very first trip, I needed something more user friendly. So, I started out with the v1 driver app for ios iPhone. I ran Advanced Logic mode and the bluetooth icon

OK, I came around a gentle bend in the road saw a Mobile Police Department Tahoe backed up into an area underneath huge oak trees but, more or less facing on-coming traffic. (I was driving away from him) Then all the sudden after I had passed the Tahoe and dropped down over a large hill that veers to the left my detector went off. So, MPD uses K at 24.157.

)
maxresdefault.jpg

Then I drove to Moss point which is about a 45-minute drive on highway, interstate, and city streets. All quiet for the most part. On the way home was interesting. I kept seeing KA all over the place just going off over and over. After about a mile and a half, I finally came across 2 state troopers sitting in the median. I know it was a full moon last night. But, there is no way on earth I would have ever seen those Tahoe's in the median. For some reason, V1 driver did not record this series of hits. But, it was definitely KA from AL state troopers.

The other weird thing is that I have to physically turn on my V1G2 every time I get into the car and get going.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your first ride report! Good to hear that you were able to get it running and got some info on what is used by you.

For the powering on that is a lot better in my opinion. Some G2's do have powering on issues so having to manually turn it on might be better in the long run. I have to do the same in my BMW and have no problem doing so.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
A couple quick remarks -
1) V1 Driver sometimes doesn’t drop pins if the phone LTE bar signal is weak- Affecting the gps. If it can’t get a gps lock, it won’t drop pins- usually a temporary issue until you drive out of the dead zone.
2) Advanced Logic severely reduces K range. Try Logic mode if K is used in your area.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A couple quick remarks -
1) V1 Driver sometimes doesn’t drop pins if the phone LTE bar signal is weak- Affecting the gps. If it can’t get a gps lock, it won’t drop pins- usually a temporary issue until you drive out of the dead zone.
2) Advanced Logic severely reduces K range. Try Logic mode if K is used in your area.

So use the Big L instead of the little L.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would recommend using a little l (Logic mode) - the difference between logic and all bogeys mode is logic mutes weak K signals - but still shows the visual alert. In general a weak 1 or 2 bar K signal will mute to your muted volume (mine is set to 0 no audio) and then start beeping as it gets higher. All bogeys (A) I think beeps at everything it sees.

both A and l are max range for K. Big L has a range penalty only on K (no impact to Ka)

look at the K range penalty testing charts below on @Vortex ‘s famous red barn test. The K results are about 1/2 way down after the Ka results. Note the G2 with Advanced Logic is at the bottom of the testing pack for K band range.

Last edited:

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would recommend using a little l (Logic mode) - the difference between logic and all bogeys mode is logic mutes weak K signals - but still shows the visual alert. In general a weak 1 or 2 bar K signal will mute to your muted volume (mine is set to 0 no audio) and then start beeping as it gets higher. All bogeys (A) I think beeps at everything it sees.
To further elaborate on this, "Big L" mode (per Mike V) adds some extra K band filters to help lock out store door openers and such. Which can be nice, but does come with a range penalty in the testing we've seen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't used JBV1, but I believe I've seen people saying that you can have JBV1 change mode based on your speed. So you could have the quietness of Big L when you want it, but better sensitivity of Little L or A when you need it.

springer1981

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
To further elaborate on this, "Big L" mode (per Mike V) adds some extra K band filters to help lock out store door openers and such. Which can be nice, but does come with a range penalty in the testing we've seen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't used JBV1, but I believe I've seen people saying that you can have JBV1 change mode based on your speed. So you could have the quietness of Big L when you want it, but better sensitivity of Little L or A when you need it.
That is correct, I love that feature. I run All Bogies mode above 45mph and Advanced Logic mode under 45.
Post automatically merged:

...On the way home was interesting. I kept seeing KA all over the place just going off over and over. After about a mile and a half, I finally came across 2 state troopers sitting in the median. I know it was a full moon last night. But, there is no way on earth I would have ever seen those Tahoe's in the median. For some reason, V1 driver did not record this series of hits. But, it was definitely KA from AL state troopers.
The V1 certainly has the range to pick that up and it sounds like that is what you had happen.

I have experienced KA over longer distances 5-10 miles of driving. What was happening to me was I was following a trooper and slowly catching up, some times it was stronger and others it would drop off and stop altogether. That had to do with the terrain in front of me as we drove. Eventually the signal got much stronger and he was in a median on the highway. Originally it seemed like false alerts but I knew better than to doubt my V1.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have JBV1 set to change between Advanced Logic below PSL and Logic above PSL. If the street doesn't have a PSL value in the database, it defaults to 50 MPH but I'm right this minute going to change that to 40 MPH. Done. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mclovin21