New Firmware for New Zealand users - Uniden R7 - Beta testing

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Vortex @KiwiClaire @jushowens @porkchop @shadow69 @At0mic9 @soampt @Anchor @nzFALCONnz

So I'm officially now announcing I'm working on the next R7 International version. This will keep all the features of existing 128 firmware: I.e. Full wide K band scanning capability, user definable K segments etc., but will also add a few bug fixes, and a whole lot of new gps stuff. This will provide support for new gps camera alert types and extended gps alert range. The anti-theft protection will also start to become more locked in making it hard for a thief to update a stolen detector without knowledge of how to unlock it. It's probably going to take a good few weeks to do all the development work and testing, but it is coming...

NatDon

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Mithheru - trying to get hold of the latest NZ R7 firmware. Can't seem to PM you. What is the best way to get in touch? Thanks :)

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
had a slightly unusual experience recently, the r7 for no reason suddenly seemed to detect every K band source out there so I had to go through the menu and reset it- seems ok and alerted a parked van, but still odd.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
had a slightly unusual experience recently, the r7 for no reason suddenly seemed to detect every K band source out there so I had to go through the menu and reset it- seems ok and alerted a parked van, but still odd.
That is odd. I've not heard of that being reported before. If that happens again, could you turn off, and turn on again and let me know if the alerts continue. Do you know if it was alerting outside the segmentation, or had the segments reset themselves??

I am aware of one oversight when I implemented the segmentation but I don't think it would cause that.

The new version should also fix a few preexisting bugs and I'm looking forward to implementing the new gps features.

Essentially, the new version will provide an extended range of gps features. It will provide options for rural and urban speed camera types (written separately into the database). Urban ones will active in the firmware with a maximum 500m gps alert range; rurual ones (eg. 80 and 100 kmh limits) will be set with a maximum of 750m gps alert range. The overspeed alert should only kick in at 300m. There will also be a menu option to have it ping so as to notify you once you have passed the camera. The display will also simultaneously display the camera type icon, your speed, and the posted limit. There will also be a separate camera alert type for the the Auckland red light cameras which also monitor the vehicles speed.

@At0mic9 @Alexandero, I think one of you once asked me about Auckland bus lane cameras. The new version will also have support for separate bus lane cameras. These different camera types will all be able to be turned on or off in the menu. If we could compile data for the locations of bus lane cameras that would be useful.

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Excellent job!, that sounds like a lot of work has been done. If it happens again I'll record the status for you. One thing that I thought might be a good feature is a flashing warning for speedcams and RL cams via the data out for the hardwire cable for those of us that rely on the hardwire warning lights

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That is odd. I've not heard of that being reported before. If that happens again, could you turn off, and turn on again and let me know if the alerts continue. Do you know if it was alerting outside the segmentation, or had the segments reset themselves??

I am aware of one oversight when I implemented the segmentation but I don't think it would cause that.

The new version should also fix a few preexisting bugs and I'm looking forward to implementing the new gps features.

Essentially, the new version will provide an extended range of gps features. It will provide options for rural and urban speed camera types (written separately into the database). Urban ones will active in the firmware with a maximum 500m gps alert range; rurual ones (eg. 80 and 100 kmh limits) will be set with a maximum of 750m gps alert range. The overspeed alert should only kick in at 300m. There will also be a menu option to have it ping so as to notify you once you have passed the camera. The display will also simultaneously display the camera type icon, your speed, and the posted limit. There will also be a separate camera alert type for the the Auckland red light cameras which also monitor the vehicles speed.

@At0mic9 @Alexandero, I think one of you once asked me about Auckland bus lane cameras. The new version will also have support for separate bus lane cameras. These different camera types will all be able to be turned on or off in the menu. If we could compile data for the locations of bus lane cameras that would be useful.

Wow @Mithheru that sounds amazing, and some very impressive work. I extremely satisfied with your current firmware, but the new additions extremely good. I particularlyike the variable extended alert distances, and ping+vehicle speed+posted limit etc, as there have been several instances where I wasn't sure I'd slowed down enough, and that feature would take care of that perfectly.
Thank you so much, the community is much indebted to your hard work and dedication :)

Claire

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
BTW Claire, I've experienced your Rotorua Ka issue at last. One marked car just out of Ngongataha, and an unmarked Equinox further along to Hamurana. Wednesday last week.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Keep finding a few things I need to add to my fix it list in the new build. Looks as though Ka band is auto muted by the quiet ride function. Therefore I'll try to make this an option on the menu as some may like the feature.
Post automatically merged:

What about laser? Would people prefer this to be quiet rided, or always notified at full alert?

Reactions: DAF

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think K band on quiet ride. I think ka and laser need to be muted manually or auto mute. In my opinion anyway.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silberwing