New Firmware for New Zealand users - Uniden R7 - Beta testing

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like they re-introduced the sub 24.050 that was taken away in the recent US firmware ;

View attachment 161940

A useful summary courtesy of Vortex;

1602856322165.png

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DEMON5 Thanks for the heads up. Seem, to have missed the alert on this thread.

I'm loving the 128 firmware, but I've updated my R7 to 133 with the NZ database and will test that for a few weeks. I'll also look to do some comparative runs against redflex on 133 K extended, versus 128 K segmented.

Whether I update the 128 firmware with features of 133 depends upon how well it works, and also whether it might be better to wait for the next update with auto lock outs, which could be no more than a month away.

I'm also reluctant to release 133 as is with an NZ database, just in case someone is tempted to start selling it. Therefore if people do want to try the 133 firmware, can I suggest you install the Uniden US version, and try it without NZ gps database. You can always revert back to your previous R7 file with the NZ database if you need it for a long trip.

So essentially watch this space...

Last edited:

RGinNZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@DEMON5 Thanks for the heads up. Seem, to have missed the alert on this thread.

I'm loving the 128 firmware, but I've updated my R7 to 133 with the NZ database and will test that for a few weeks. I'll also look to do some comparative runs against redflex on 133 K extended, versus 128 K segmented.

Whether I update the 128 firmware with features of 133 depends upon how well it works, and also whether it might be better to wait for the next update with auto lock outs, which could be no more than a month away.

I'm also reluctant to release 133 as is with an NZ database, just in case someone is tempted to start selling it. Therefore if people do want to try the 133 firmware, can I suggest you install the Uniden US version, and try it without NZ gps database. You can always revert back to your previous R7 file with the NZ database if you need it for a long trip.

So essentially watch this space...

Hi @Mithheru
I am currently running NZ firmware 124.124.111 in my R7, new to this forum, and wanting to upgrade. I am very interested in your findings on your latest firmware 128 compared to Uniden's133 (can it work in NZ with local database). What would you recommend?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Currently R7 128 Int firmware is best all round performance in NZ. US 133 can be provided with NZ gps, but needs a lot of fixes to K band to make it useable at full wide and full sensitivity (both of which we need for NZ mobile redflex). I think I'm going to let Uniden fix this release before adding in my own tweeks and improvements.

RGinNZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Currently R7 128 Int firmware is best all round performance in NZ. US 133 can be provided with NZ gps, but needs a lot of fixes to K band to make it useable at full wide and full sensitivity (both of which we need for NZ mobile redflex). I think I'm going to let Uniden fix this release before adding in my own tweeks and improvements.
Thanks.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DEMON5 @Zakk I did some comparative testing against mobile redflex van on the 133 R7 vs the 128 R7 using the same R7. I have to say I feel disappointed.

I did two comparative runs on each firmware in both directions (four runs for each direction in total on the R7). I also did a final run on both directions on the DFR9forNZ.

The 133 R7 is massively noisy on K band in general use at full K sensitivity (which is what we need for redflex). I thought this might reflect better sensitivity. However, against redflex, I get no improvement in detection relative to 128 International. So far I've now used more than 150 manual GPS lockouts around Wellington in just a couple of weeks on the 133. On the 128 R7 I need just 2 gps lockouts!.

The range on the R7 (both versions) against redflex is better than the DFR9forNZ in both directions. However, the DFR9forNZ even in this exceptionally difficult redflex location was able to notify an adequate alert in both directions against the redflex emitting at 24.033GHz (below R3 capability).

Therefore, despite all the additional feature of the 133 firmware, it just doesn't make it a better detector under NZ conditions for redflex. The massive number of falses detected on K band is really concerning.

I will try to compile the video footage in the coming days. Because this redflex location is exceptionally tough due to the scenery, I will retest in coming weeks if I find a location to compare range over 300+ metres against redflex.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Finally, got around to compiling the footage comparing the R7 133 and 128 firmware.

Due to the extreme difficulties of this location, it'd be nice to retest at another location where we get get more significant redflex range.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMG A45