New Firmware for New Zealand users - Uniden R7 - Beta testing

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
To accompany the firmware, I will send out a file with payment details. Thanks ever so much to the kindness of you guys on the forum.

I've made one final tweek to the R7 firmware. Because I am releasing it, and I still don't want people copying it and selling new R7s on trade me etc. with it preinstalled. Therefore when you power on, after the initial splash screen, the R7 will then display the unique serial number for the detector the file was built and encrpyted for.

I hope you don't mind me adding this extra feature, but I think given the amount of work here, I really don't want to see lots of them suddenly appearing on trademe!

DFR9 segmentation is still not right, but hopefully, I think I may now have an idea why only two of the three segments work properly. The DFR9 is also scanning probably up now to about 24.20 and probably a bit further down to around 23.96. Really hard to judge the exact frequencies as its analogue and seems at best to be +/-0.02. I did just find a redflex van caught in the bottom segment today though, so my work is looking promising.

jushowens

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@dudeinnz thanks for your question about what the settings do.

I do plan to write a release note for it but haven't done that yet. I also figured I'd let you guys try it and see how you get on. I also asked @DEMON5 to note down anything on the menus etc if you think it could be made more intuitive.

So basically at present you have:

K Wide / K Quiet - This tells the DSP to scan wide regardless, just that K quiet has active K muting, K Wide does not.

K Mute 24.060-24.110. If ON this mutes in this range also (only if K Quiet is selected).

Hide Mutes On / Off (only if K Quiet selected): If set ON then the mutes will be greyed out on the display. If OFF the mute frequencies will not be displayed (just muted). So if used in combination with dark mode, the muted frequencies will also keep the display Dark, otherwise the frequencies would be greyed out as usual.

With Auto GPS lock outs you can use these by double pressing the mute button as normal. GPS lockouts can be applied with K Wide or K Quiet. If K Quiet is selected and the frequency is in the mute range, this will only really make sense if you intend also to use K Wide (and no muting). Otherwise you can still use gps lock outs to mute low K alerts within the alert frequency range.

Quiet ride should work independently, so I would suggest setting it to 40km. So if there is a false alert say at 24.030 this will be muted by Quiet ride if below that speed limit (i.e. in town), otherwise those in frequency alerts will not be muted.

Hope that helps.
Post automatically merged:

If you prefer, instead of the menu having "K Wide" or "K Quiet" it could be made to say: "Auto K Mute: On" / "Auto K Mute: Off" would that make things clearer?

Yes, that would make sense.
It’s not very intuitive as it is.
I had to go back and reread this thread to figure out the intention with wide/quiet.
Looks great though, looking forward to some testing on it now!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Mithheru, was the R7 mounted horizontally or vertically during that encounter? Also does K filter OFF give slightly better range in favour of more BSM falses?

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Mithheru, that does look a little too short for comfort on the R7. Perhaps you and I do a head to head comparison shootout on both our R7s with the next weekend camera van you or I see? I'm still on 124 (NZ) and haven't felt compelled to move yet :) Will discuss when we catch up.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is different R7 unit to my original one. However, it depends more upon the van location. I think this R7 is similar in performance to my other one on the original 124 firmware. Some of those detections are quite close, but many are very good. I think if I was able to run the R7 on the same location as the Van on the DFR9 encounter the R7 would look better. Both detectors were running on vertical mount. It also depends very much upon location. There is very little here at these locations to give much of a reflection. You really need to run multiple runs and take the average to account for traffic etc..

@Zakk So your R7 NZ has the 124 DSP version. Based upon experience I would say this is exactly the same as the 124 US DSP. I can for instance make it known that the 1.38 R3NZ firmware shares exactly the same DSP version as the old 1.37 US R3 firmware. Therefore likewise I would expect the R7NZ 124 and R7 US 124 DSP are the very same code. My 127 DSP is substantially the same as the 124DSP, so I would not expect any difference in detection range between our two R7s. I would love to do a side by side comparison of our two R7s though. It'd have to be averaged over 2 runs each, and performed in the same car, with the same mounting location. Let's do it! :)

Last edited:

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My 127 DSP is substantially the same as the 124DSP, so I would not expect any difference in detection range between our two R7s. I would love to do a side by side comparison of our two R7s though. It'd have to be averaged over 2 runs each, and performed in the same car, with the same mounting location. Let's do it!
Makes sense there shouldn't be difference between versions and we have determined the best settings for Redflex range. So outside of that you've got me wondering if there might be a db or two's sensitivity difference by having my remote R7 vertical outside in the grill (so not going through windscreen glass on an angle but instead in a sealed plastic unit).
As you know it's not easy to get to but perhaps we can come up with a controlled comparison.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Makes sense there shouldn't be difference between versions and we have determined the best settings for Redflex range. So outside of that you've got me wondering if there might be a db or two's sensitivity difference by having my remote R7 vertical outside in the grill (so not going through windscreen glass on an angle but instead in a sealed plastic unit).
As you know it's not easy to get to but perhaps we can come up with a controlled comparison.

I wonder also if there is variability in detectors. The R7 I updated and tested for someone else recently did seem perhaps a little more responsive than mine.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just to give a heads up. I'm still working hard on the R7. A new firmware version is in the pipeline. This is going to add some new features which provide greater flexibility and is ideal for those in Australia, NZ and elsewhere.

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just to give a heads up. I'm still working hard on the R7. A new firmware version is in the pipeline. This is going to add some new features which provide greater flexibility and is ideal for those in Australia, NZ and elsewhere.
Ive been running the beta version on my US spec R7 and its been fantastic, very few k falses and an accurate NZ GPS database

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My R7 is on its way from the USA, but shipping has been delayed due to Covid there. my R3 is my daily drive until the R7 arrives. last night there was a Vw van with Redflex on my way home and not a peep out of my R3 because it doesnt scan low enough K band....hence the reason to upgrade to the R7, cant wait to try it out with Mithherus custom firmware. My R3 still has saved me several times on Ka, and is still am awesome detector

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My R7 is on its way from the USA, but shipping has been delayed due to Covid there. my R3 is my daily drive until the R7 arrives. last night there was a Vw van with Redflex on my way home and not a peep out of my R3 because it doesnt scan low enough K band....hence the reason to upgrade to the R7, cant wait to try it out with Mithherus custom firmware. My R3 still has saved me several times on Ka, and is still am awesome detector
you are going to love the upgrade as i did the same a while ago. everytime the wife is in my car she likes the arrows compare to her hand me down r3. the new firmware is fantastic.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Vortex

Once I've finished implementing and testing my new additions to the R7 firmware, I think you should have a look at it.

We all love what Uniden has done with the R7 and the various updates and their ongoing support. However, there are some things I don't think they'll ever implement without a push. Therefore I'm pushing. My new update for the R7 is really a step forward for K band performance. From the above comments you'll already see my NZ R7 version is the quietest version of the R7 on K band ever released. The next version will be another step up, with new options and features making it better suited for everyone wherever they live in the world.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Vortex

Once I've finished implementing and testing my new additions to the R7 firmware, I think you should have a look at it.

We all love what Uniden has done with the R7 and the various updates and their ongoing support. However, there are some things I don't think they'll ever implement without a push. Therefore I'm pushing. My new update for the R7 is really a step forward for K band performance. From the above comments you'll already see my NZ R7 version is the quietest version of the R7 on K band ever released. The next version will be another step up, with new options and features making it better suited for everyone wherever they live in the world.

That sounds great. Do you have a list of changes and improvements you’d like to bring with the new firmware?

Bas

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What's up guys, I bought a second hand R7 NZ version and it has ver. 125.124.112. Is there any more recent update to this for NZ?I realised I should not update the radar from the Uniden US. Where is the link to NZ updates? I am learning....Any help is appreciated.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Bas There is a more recent version of the Official R7 NZ firmware, however Uniden NZ has not released it. At the present time you will also not be able to convert it to US format even if you wanted to. This is part why I started to develop new firmware for the R7. If Uniden NZ don't want to update it, you could ask them to convert it to the US version so you have more firmware options for installation including those offering better K band segmentation.

Once I have finalised the R7 international version for release (still a few weeks away yet), I think I will also contact Uniden NZ and offer to send them my version of the R7 to play with. Once they realise their version of the R7 has fallen behind in both NZ GPS and other features including K segmentation, I think they will realise there is no fear for releasing NZ updates.

I’m curious if you are able to get the auto lockouts to work....

There is some spare code in the 129 and 124 which may have something to do with gps lockouts. However, due to ongoing issues with Patent protection in the US, I'm not planning on adding my name to that list. Since this is definitely on Uniden's to do list, no point me trying to try to add something that may only be half done anyway.

I think with the new features I'm adding for K band on the R7 International version, I think auto gps lock outs are becoming less and less important.

That sounds great. Do you have a list of changes and improvements you’d like to bring with the new firmware?

1) The main feature I'm adding is full user definable K band segmentation. No longer 2, 3, 5, 10 segments etc. (i.e. like K segmentation on the DFR7 / Ka segmentation on the R3 / R7). This would be fully user selectable. So e.g. you could choose to exclude 24.11-24.12. Or you could choose only to have alerts for 24.00-24.15. Or you could scan redflex at 23.97-24.04 or ....

2) Anti-theft personalisation and update protection. This aims to protects me, but most importantly it protects you if your R7 is stolen. A thief would not be able to remove your personal details shown on startup. They also cannot backdate or reinstall older/newer firmware without knowing your unlock pin.

A lot of the main parts are already implemented on the menus, etc, just a couple more weeks to finalise the build for the K limits, then need to see if I have enough space to add the extra security features.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The K segs sound good, but I’m not sure if they’ll be quite as useful here as they are there.

Do you think it’d be possible to do a sort of expanded K Block type feature that helps block Acuras at 24.168 or Mazdas at 24.123-24.124? Those are right on some legit police frequencies too though so maybe it’d be best just for weak signals?

I don’t remember off the top of my head if the R7 alerts weakly or strongly to those, but that could be useful as well.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal