New Firmware for New Zealand users - Uniden R7 - Beta testing

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DEMON5 @dudeinnz @KiwiClaire

I'm working on updating the DFR9forNZ spec to build in some similar improvements.

It stuck me, perhaps the R7forNZ menu might be easier if we had it displayed as three K segments. Essentially this is what we have in the beta testing anyway. Therefore instead of also having K band On / Off; K Wide / K Quiet; K Mute 24.06-24.11 On/ Off we just have:

K 23.97-24.06 On/Off
K 24.06-24.11 On/Off
K 24.11-24.25 On/Off

I can reposition on the menu to put these three options together.
I can also make it alert full wide down below 23.97 also if all three segments are ON. Likewise if all three segments are OFF, I can tell the DSP to stop using K altogether. This would all happen in the background.

So functionality would be similar to what you are testing, now, but with some more flexibility.
Post automatically merged:

Or, do I just try to build the international R7 version and attempt to implement full user definable K segmentation. with increments of +/- 0.005 on each of two boundaries.?

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
K 23.97-24.06 On/Off
K 24.06-24.11 On/Off
K 24.11-24.25 On/Off

Yes, that could work. Another thought - How about instead of the K Wide and K Narrow options currently, You had a KNZ - 23.97 - 24.11, and a K wide - Everything option. I guess it depends whichever is easier to implement.

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Mithheru Suggest this more depends on whether you want the possibility of worldwide firmware or to create, maintain support different firmware for different countries/states. You already have a taste of the specific range requests the latter approach will create, letting an international user set granularly themselves (setting number range(s) or toggle 10-20 bands) should minimise support

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@DEMON5 @dudeinnz @KiwiClaire

I'm working on updating the DFR9forNZ spec to build in some similar improvements.

It stuck me, perhaps the R7forNZ menu might be easier if we had it displayed as three K segments. Essentially this is what we have in the beta testing anyway. Therefore instead of also having K band On / Off; K Wide / K Quiet; K Mute 24.06-24.11 On/ Off we just have:

K 23.97-24.06 On/Off
K 24.06-24.11 On/Off
K 24.11-24.25 On/Off

I can reposition on the menu to put these three options together.
I can also make it alert full wide down below 23.97 also if all three segments are ON. Likewise if all three segments are OFF, I can tell the DSP to stop using K altogether. This would all happen in the background.

So functionality would be similar to what you are testing, now, but with some more flexibility.

Or, do I just try to build the international R7 version and attempt to implement full user definable K segmentation. with increments of +/- 0.005 on each of two boundaries.?

That sounds like a very straight forward approach, which is much more consistent with how Ka band segmentation is dealt with - I really like it, great thinkng.

Anyway, after 10 days of running it I am really liking this R7 for NZ firmware @Mithheru . Lots of Ka band hits (including a couple of great saves), and only one <24.06 false so far in Rotorua (somewhere near the big-box store shopping on the corner of Fenton st and SH30A), which is cut via Quiet Ride anyway.
No redflex vans so far, but I am really enjoying the ability to run K band (didn't bother before) with practically zero falses - it's frankly awesome and really rounds out the R7 as an excellent detector for NZ. Thanks @Mithheru !!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So got a dodgy van on video this time...

I'm probably going to wait and see if Uniden release auto gps lock outs later this month. There was a lot of spare code I noted in the 124 and 129 firmware, so I suspect it may have already been implemented, just not turned on. Therefore if the next Uniden firmware release has low K band capability, I will rebuild a new version anyway. For NZ I like the idea of 3 K segments, however, if I can build an international version I may just use that.

The only issue will the international version will be the menu. Setting two variable K limits will be a lot more time consuming for people to set up on the menu (i.e. 23.900 - 24.250 in steps of 0.01 is going to be a lot of button pressing). Having just three segments is more user friendly. Admittedly once the K limits have been set there shouldn't be much need to keep adjusting, except at factory reset.

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes however from reports that 129 MRCD change now appears to take extra time for filtering/validation to determine it’s the more complex MRCD signal, that also slows Redflex alerting. You really need every second against Redflex in NZ, Aust etc.
From that posting... “I just tested it as well and saw a slight but noticeable delay with MRCD on and the same settings you mentioned. Not bad enough that it would worry me though’

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes however from reports that 129 MRCD change now appears to take extra time for filtering/validation to determine it’s MRCD, that also slows Redflex alerting. You really need every second against Redflex in NZ, Aust etc.
From that posting... “I just tested it as well and saw a slight but noticeable delay with MRCD on and the same settings you mentioned. Not bad enough that it would worry me though’

In the above thread, and based upon the testing @TurboDriver had done, it looks like the 129 firmware only went down to 24.039 with MRCD turned on. Also any delay in detection is not acceptable for redflex.

I'm currently looking into evaluating menu options for the user definable K segment. If I can make the menu work in the way I'd like it to, I'll fully implement it. Essentially this could work to encapsulate between one and three segments anywhere you like within K wide.

Last edited:

ezekiel67

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but will this firmware update work on a DFR7?

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There are No silly questions. Everything I’ve read says LRDs,DFRs & R3s don’t have enough memory and or processing power to do autolock outs. I rem reading that uniden kept their production costs down / profit ratio up by selecting a less expensive processor than the one ecort was using in the Max’s. The old obsolescence, buy new game.
Not future proof...
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

So the answer is yes and no. I'd need to rewrite the DFR7 firmware to implement a similar feature for the DFR7 but it could be done. Given that the DFR7 NZ already has K segmentation, and writing new firmware is very time consuming, I'd rather add better features to those more recent detectors that need it. So the DFR9 is also being upgraded to NZ spec with lower K scanning and three segments which will match the R7 above. Likewise the R7 127 beta release is also going to be tweeked a bit more to have three K segments which will be more intuitive than the options I currently built it with.

@foxy @Jakesey So on the DFR9forNZ it will be similarly updated like the new R7 firmware to have these K segments. I've also corrected the accuracy of the K band display frequency after retuning.

DSCN3402.jpg
DSCN3403.jpg
DSCN3405.jpg

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So the DFR9 is also being upgraded to NZ spec with lower K scanning and three segments which will match the R7 above.

Great work. So is 24.17 now the upper ceiling on K band, now that it scans down to 23.97 ?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
On the DFR9 yes. On the R7 segment 3 would go 24.110-24.250. If all three segments on the R7 turned on, I would let it assume you wanted to scan the bottom also. In that case with all three segments on, the R7 would go down to 23.900.

I.e. kind of three and half segments on the R7! Perhaps actually I should aim to have four segments on the R7? To specifically have 23.900-23.970? Would that be worthwhile?

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I.e. kind of three and half segments on the R7! Perhaps actually I should aim to have four segments on the R7? To specifically have 23.900-23.970? Would that be worthwhile?

Thanks - could be worth it to save having a separate AU version, i.e. still retaining optimal segments for Redflex in Eastern States, whilst giving a bit more flexibility around the 24.125 GHz general K band frequencies. Ideally you would give just enough band with either side of 24.125, whilst truncating the low and high GM Commodore BSM's (approx 24.070 and 24.170)

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So since there looks like there is indeed a another new R7 firmware in prerelease:

So in the review on the above thread, it looks like this new version now adds wide K scanning back in. The delay on K also seems to be resolved by turning K fitler and TSF off. Therefore this would seem a better baseline build to add K segments. Therefore I will plan to complete the work on the DFR9 (so Uniden does seem to have forgotten this great little detector!), and following R7 updates, I will look to reimplementing the improvements on the 127 beta version so we end up with an NZ version with the benefits of the next US release also.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If all three segments on the R7 turned on, I would let it assume you wanted to scan the bottom also. In that case with all three segments on, the R7 would go down to 23.900.

Nice demo by @DC Fluid on the K extended frequency ranges on the new R& beta firmware ;

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Given the positive comments I've had on this R7 127 firmware. I think I might as well release this version as is. It is not quite as intuitive on the menus. However, given I'll be rebuilding all the new mods into the next version when it does finally become available, I might as well give you all something to play with, and give you more things to look forward to. :)

Therefore please send me a PM with your request to update. I would also greatly appreciate any financial contributions you feel appropriate. This R7 project has been a massive undertaking for me to set out to accomplish. Its also involved a great deal of research, testing and development going on behind the scenes. I'm still very happily running the R7 on this beta version, I think everyone will be amazed how quiet and dependable it makes your R7 on K band.

Segmentation on the DFR9 has actually been even trickier to get right as the code is so much more fragmented. However, that is also coming together and starting to work very nicely. The DFR9 firmware however will not be available for general release, so I would need people to send me their detectors if they would like the DFR9 segmentation updating (once it has been finalised).

There is also another new Auckland redflex camera, so I figure I might as well update to version 2.19 on the GPS DB (thanks to @nzFALCONnz for the feedback).

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So the answer is yes and no. I'd need to rewrite the DFR7 firmware to implement a similar feature for the DFR7 but it could be done.
Always Love It when ‘The Experts’ say it’s Cant be done with a myriad of reasons and someone else says ‘why not?’. Code on Dude...
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

jushowens

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
///
Hi everyone. Given the positive comments I've had on this R7 127 firmware. I think I might as well release this version as is. It is not quite as intuitive on the menus. However, given I'll be rebuilding all the new mods into the next version when it does finally become available, I might as well give you all something to play with, and give you more things to look forward to. :)

Therefore please send me a PM with your request to update. I would also greatly appreciate any financial contributions you feel appropriate. This R7 project has been a massive undertaking for me to set out to accomplish. Its also involved a great deal of research, testing and development going on behind the scenes. I'm still very happily running the R7 on this beta version, I think everyone will be amazed how quiet and dependable it makes your R7 on K band.

Segmentation on the DFR9 has actually been even trickier to get right as the code is so much more fragmented. However, that is also coming together and starting to work very nicely. The DFR9 firmware however will not be available for general release, so I would need people to send me their detectors if they would like the DFR9 segmentation updating (once it has been finalised).

There is also another new Auckland redflex camera, so I figure I might as well update to version 2.19 on the GPS DB (thanks to @nzFALCONnz for the feedback).

Hi Mithheru,
Could you send me a copy of the firmware to try out in Ireland please?
Maybe I'm totally dumb but I can't see the PM or "Start a conversation' button to send you a PM.
Can someone enlighten me please!!?
Thanks!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Will you set up paypal like Johnboy, or some other way of donating?
I'd like to donate even though I don't use Uniden. I appreciate the database.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hklevi