Breathing New Life Into The Old Girl

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
With COVID causing me to be furloughed for a while now, I finally had time to get to work on my pride and joy: my 1992 BMW 325i Cabriolet. I bought this thing from my uncle when I was 14 years old (it has been in the family since 1996) and drove it every day when I was in high school. This thing was easily the best first car ever, being an amazing driver and rad as hell. It's a factory MTech II Appearance package car (option S770A), with Aplinweiss exterior / Lotusweiss interior, a 5-speed manual, and factory hardtop, making it pretty rare. To this day, I'm not really sure who thought letting a 14-year-old buy such a relatively dangerous and fairly valuable car, but I'm certainly not arguing!

Back when I was in college and living down in Connecticut, it remained at my parent's house and eventually my dad's new house after they split. There was just no way I was bringing it with me to school. When I was a sophomore, I came home for Spring Break to discover that the starter motor had gone bad. If you know about these cars, you know how painful a starter job is on them for a novice mechanic. Between school, work, and the eventual move from my childhood home, the whole project was sidelined. The car last ran on March 18, 2017 and life really got in the way of it getting fixed.

This morning, with a new starter motor in place (as well as a new timing belt and water pump while I was in there), the car fired for the first time in 3 years. I completely forgot how glorious and obnoxiously loud it sounds, with it's basically straight pipe back from the motor (which my mother ABSOLUTELY adored ;)). You can quite literally hear this thing coming from a half mile away. It still needs a whole lot of work from sitting for so long, but it's finally back on track to being road worthy.

I figured I'd share it with you guys since it's a pretty special car. They certainly don't build 'em like they used to! "The E30 is God's chariot" is a very true statement. The only dread of it being usable everyday again will be the need for yet another detector and jammer setup for it! My wallet is cringing at the thought of it 😅

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

Last edited:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Gorgeous & absolutely LOVE the wheels - purrrfect for that sweet ride.
They're factory wheels too! 14" BMW Style 5's that are paint matched to the body. They were part of the S770A package. Finding tires that small is getting very difficult, sadly. But they're just too perfect to not use
Post automatically merged:

One of the best stories came the day we moved out of my childhood house. Long story short, this was the very last object to leave the property on move-out day. I had already started removing bits of the motor to get to the starter. Therefore, it wasn't able to run on it's own power. Our driveway connected to a street that was a short hill. My dad had a U-Haul truck with a trailer on the back parked at the bottom of the hill. With no way to start it, I pushed it out of the driveway, hopped in, and used gravity to steer it onto the trailer at the bottom of the hill. It was sketchy to say the least.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
With COVID causing me to be furloughed for a while now, I finally had time to get to work on my pride and joy: my 1992 BMW 325i Cabriolet. I bought this thing from my uncle when I was 14 years old (it has been in the family since 1996) and drove it every day when I was in high school. This thing was easily the best first car ever, being an amazing driver and rad as hell. It's a factory MTech II Appearance package car (option S770A), with Aplinweiss exterior / Lotusweiss interior, a 5-speed manual, and factory hardtop, making it pretty rare. To this day, I'm not really sure who thought letting a 14-year-old buy such a relatively dangerous and fairly valuable car, but I'm certainly not arguing!

Back when I was in college and living down in Connecticut, it remained at my parent's house and eventually my dad's new house after they split. There was just no way I was bringing it with me to school. When I was a sophomore, I came home for Spring Break to discover that the starter motor had gone bad. If you know about these cars, you know how painful a starter job is on them for a novice mechanic. Between school, work, and the eventual move from my childhood home, the whole project was sidelined. The car last ran on March 18, 2017 and life really got in the way of it getting fixed.

This morning, with a new starter motor in place (as well as a new timing belt and water pump while I was in there), the car fired for the first time in 3 years. I completely forgot how glorious and obnoxiously loud it sounds, with it's basically straight pipe back from the motor (which my mother ABSOLUTELY adored ;)). You can quite literally hear this thing coming from a half mile away. It still needs a whole lot of work from sitting for so long, but it's finally back on track to being road worthy.

I figured I'd share it with you guys since it's a pretty special car. They certainly don't build 'em like they used to! "The E30 is God's chariot" is a very true statement. The only dread of it being usable everyday again will be the need for yet another detector and jammer setup for it! My wallet is cringing at the thought of it 😅

View attachment 149373

View attachment 149374

View attachment 149375

View attachment 149376

View attachment 149377
[email protected] she's BEEEEEUTIFUL !!

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They're factory wheels too! 14" BMW Style 5's that are paint matched to the body. They were part of the S770A package. Finding tires that small is getting very difficult, sadly. But they're just too perfect to not use

One of the best stories came the day we moved out of my childhood house. Long story short, this was the very last object to leave the property on move-out day. I had already started removing bits of the motor to get to the starter. Therefore, it wasn't able to run on it's own power. Our driveway connected to a street that was a short hill. My dad had a U-Haul truck with a trailer on the back parked at the bottom of the hill. With no way to start it, I pushed it out of the driveway, hopped in, and used gravity to steer it onto the trailer at the bottom of the hill. It was sketchy to say the least.
If the 14’s can’t be found you could always get a 15 inch set of the same style from the 325ix. Same bolt pattern I think.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow. Absolutely beautiful.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
What a gem NorE... glad to see it's out chasing panties again.... or boxers or whatever.
Can confirm, with the roof down, there's plenty of room in the back seat. You just have to find a VERY good hiding er...parking spot :shifty:

If the 14’s can’t be found you could always get a 15 inch set of the same style from the 325ix. Same bolt pattern I think.
That's good to know! I didn't know the 325ix had 15s. I don't really want to go aftermarket wheels, and bottle cap wheels just wouldn't look right on this particular E30

Last edited:

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@NorEaster18 Lots of God’s chariot ‘vert love from me!

My e30 ‘vert is a little rough around the edges! She says Hi!

A100E42E-8801-4429-86D4-C9D31DECE407.jpeg

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PumaMan