Usefulness of 4k @ 30fps VS 1440p @ 60fps A129 Pro Duo

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
So, after finding that the video quality at 30fps really wasn't a huge amount better on the 4K settings over the 1440p settings I've changed to 1440p @ 60fps. I'm thinking I like it better than 4K as it might be more useful to get stuff in frame. Has anyone else experimented with this and what are your thoughts?

Here's an example video:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That was unexpected. :D

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
That was unexpected. :D
Still having some fun with my video editing also. ;)
Never know what you'll find in my videos, even the seemingly boring ones.

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
;)

I've been feeling that higher framerate along with higher bitrate could possibly be the way to go for a while.

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much this allows you to control but FPS is just one part of the number. The shutter speed also affects it which ultimately leads to or lack of the motion blur of the video. Just because you're shooting at 60 FPS doesn't mean you're getting more details in each frame because the actual shutter speed might be too fast and you get very choppy video. It's called shutter angle and it's how you achieve an equilibrium of a chosen FPS. But not sure if that's even a setting on the camera. Generally though you want the shutter speed to be double the FPS you desire. Lower will produce more linear motion in the form of blur and higher will eventually produce very choppy cuts between each frame.

Also yes bitrate is generally important as well but also just because you have more data doesn't mean you have a total gain in resolution. The biggest thing with 4K is that yes there's a lot more data but it's a lot of small bits. Though with the right settings using a decent enough sensor and encoding process it will produce the best quality of course.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
Not sure how much this allows you to control but FPS is just one part of the number. The shutter speed also affects it which ultimately leads to or lack of the motion blur of the video. Just because you're shooting at 60 FPS doesn't mean you're getting more details in each frame because the actual shutter speed might be too fast and you get very choppy video. It's called shutter angle and it's how you achieve an equilibrium of a chosen FPS. But not sure if that's even a setting on the camera. Generally though you want the shutter speed to be double the FPS you desire. Lower will produce more linear motion in the form of blur and higher will eventually produce very choppy cuts between each frame.

Also yes bitrate is generally important as well but also just because you have more data doesn't mean you have a total gain in resolution. The biggest thing with 4K is that yes there's a lot more data but it's a lot of small bits. Though with the right settings using a decent enough sensor and encoding process it will produce the best quality of course.
Basically the settings you have to play with on this camera are resolution, bitrate, WDR and exposure, which is basically shutter speed correct?

Quality of course is greatly desirable but FPS is pretty desirable too in a dash cam because you are traveling so fast. The more frames you have, the higher chance a detail will be in-frame and close enough to get detail. The quality of that detail of course goes back to what you are saying.

I feel like the video above is actually pretty darn good for a dashcam. Would you recommend trying to change the exposure? Right now it's set at default (0) and has a range of -2.0 to +2.0.

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
One shall live, and one shall die...

Haha... nice ending

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The exposure setting is just an EV adjustment to make it either darker or brighter overall entirely. It sounds like shutter speed is automated so nothing much can be done.

But I agree the video did look fine and yes 60 FPS is by far more desirable

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been feeling that higher framerate along with higher bitrate could possibly be the way to go for a while.
Indeed. Bitrate is part of it, of course, but so is the encoding used, and H.264 is not the same as H.265. Then there’s the sensor itself, hoe much of the sensor is being used, and to produce what kind of FOV, and at what frame rate, under what lighting conditions, etc.

It feels to me like we’ve made giant leaps forward in cheap consumer dashcams in the last few years, but we’re hitting kind of a wall unless and until we can figure out how to do the job of a bulky and expensive video camera in a small form factor at a reasonable price. While you can only do so much about the physical limitations of a lens and sensor setup, I think it’s possible the next big thing will be remote brains. It’s about the only thing you can truly separate from the actual image capturing hardware.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
What is it with birds and dashcams rn?

I just saw two birds fly into a car and only 1 made it out alive.

Jdem

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just picked up a A129 Pro Duo myself today, and am wondering this as well. I'll be playing around with settings and looking at footage over the next few days to see what I prefer. The quality increase coming from my 4K Blackvue DR900S-2CH is insane. It's the difference between being able to read a license plate and not.

This was on the 4K/30fps setting.
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 1.49.30 PM.png

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
1CB29D5F-7F7D-4E20-8FF4-11B21853DC43.jpeg

thanks for upload
I think one of vortex’s videos or something else on YouTube mentioned the 30 vs 60fps recording or 720 vs 1440

untamedinc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Still having some fun with my video editing also. ;)
Never know what you'll find in my videos, even the seemingly boring ones.
Hi OBeerWANKenobi - what video software do you like using for editing? I recently started working with Sony Vegas 17. It's pretty loaded, but almost overkill and complicated. My goals were simply to cut videos, add a few things like pointing stuff out with arrows and adding text and exporting/rendering. Thought you might have insights to what you like or what you are using. Thanks.

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi OBeerWANKenobi - what video software do you like using for editing? I recently started working with Sony Vegas 17. It's pretty loaded, but almost overkill and complicated. My goals were simply to cut videos, add a few things like pointing stuff out with arrows and adding text and exporting/rendering. Thought you might have insights to what you like or what you are using. Thanks.
I'm using OpenShot. It's free, isn't difficult to use IMO, and has a lot of tutorials for anything you'd like to do with it on youtube.

It's a little slow, at least on my computer, as it only uses the CPU instead of my hopped up graphics card for editing. I think it does support GPU for Linux. Maybe Mac too? It's still being actively developed so new features and updates come along every so often. Anyway, as long as you don't mind it taking some time to render during editing or use some tricks like using a low quality reference track, I find that it works really well. After you figure out it's quirks it's easy to do simple stuff like cutting and splicing quickly and doesn't take much longer to add pointers, text or other effects.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bas