DPS Couldn't Catch Me Speeding

RoverTtx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Story Time! :)
*Sorry, no dash cam as I wasn't driving my own vehicle

This past week I road tripped to Colorado with a group of friends. I brought along my R3 and was driving an f150 the whole way back (2 7hr days). I had a close call in Colorado, but nothing else 'til Texas. About 2 hours into Texas I was cruising at roughly 80-85mph in a 75 when I spotted Crown Vic headlights crest a hill. I got on the brakes hard out of habit, then sure enough got I/O'd by a state trooper coming the opposite direction. I was going 5-10 over at most, and got on the brakes before he even turned on his radar, let alone got a reading on me. This all was a matter of a few seconds but I knew he could not have gotten me at anything over 75.

Apparently he was interested, because he swung around and lit me up quick. "Reason for me stopping you is your speed, ok?"
I told everyone in the car there was no way he caught me speeding and if he writes a ticket it's BS.
He came back with a warning, and funny enough there's no speed listed on it at all. The paper just says "speeding over limit". Lmao.

The guy was probably really bored, saw I was *allegedly* speeding, and just wanted to pull me over even though he didn't catch me doing anything over 75.

Figured I would share. Anything like this ever happen to y'all?
Texas DPS scares me with their sneaky instant on... My eyes saved me!

Another side note: I really really wish I had a dash cam, because out in the panhandle I got an 8 mile ka detection. I'm used to <1 mile detections but I happened to get a ridiculous sniff of ka. As always, once in a while the Uniden just turns beast mode and knocks my socks off. I literally cannot believe that happened.

Last edited:

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Story Time! :)
*Sorry, no dash cam as I wasn't driving my own vehicle

This past week I road tripped to Colorado with a group of friends. I brought along my R3 and was driving an f150 the whole way back (2 7hr days). I had a close call in Colorado, but nothing else 'til Texas. About 2 hours into Texas I was cruising at roughly 80-85mph in a 75 when I spotted Crown Vic headlights crest a hill. I got on the brakes hard out of habit, then sure enough got I/O'd by a state trooper coming the opposite direction. I was going 5-10 over at most, and got on the brakes before he even turned on his radar, let alone got a reading on me. This all was a matter of a few seconds but I knew he could not have gotten me at anything over 75.

Apparently he was interested, because he swung around and lit me up quick. "Reason for me stopping you is your speed, ok?"
I told everyone in the car there was no way he caught me speeding and if he writes a ticket it's BS.
He came back with a warning, and funny enough there's no speed listed on it at all. The paper just says "speeding over limit". Lmao.

The guy was probably really bored, saw I was *allegedly* speeding, and just wanted to pull me over even though he didn't catch me doing anything over 75.

Figured I would share. Anything like this ever happen to y'all?
Texas DPS scares me with their sneaky instant on... My eyes saved me!

Another side note: I really really wish I had a dash cam, because out in the panhandle I got an 8 mile ka detection. I'm used to <1 mile detections but I happened to get a ridiculous sniff of ka. As always, once in a while the Uniden just turns beast mode and knocks my socks off. I literally cannot believe that happened.
Know this: DPS uses Stalkers. My 18 year old Stalker Dual will acquire speed nearly instantaneously. Those guys are usually very good radar operators and they almost always I/O. Most of them are professional and courteous and I have only run into one who was pretty douchey. Won't talk about him.

At the beginning of the year one clocked me at 25+ over I/O. He stopped me and was very nice, explaining that my speed was excessive but I wasn't who he was looking for. I hadn't even suggested that "these weren't the droids they were looking for." Of course he was far more interested in drunks, warrants, and people whose vehicle reeks of weed before he even gets to the door. My written warning also didn't specify speed. I asked him and he said it was better not to even talk about it.

Another one gave me a written warning for 88 in a 70 more than 10 years ago. I/O of course and I was sure glad I slowed before topping that hill. He was also very nice and decent. He did run the serial number on every firearm in the vehicle but I didn't mind that. That's how stolen guns are recovered.

A Dee

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yep Texas troopers are sneaky and I've learned to use my eyes more than anything. Call it crazy but I can recognize Texas trooper silhouette and colors from a good distance. They are good with I/O that's all I get hit with driving through the panhandle.

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me but it wasn't DPS. It was Elmendorf P.D.

They usually run C/O and my R3 always sniffs em out a couple of miles away. But even without a RD, I wouldn't drive over the PSL on Hwy 181.

One night the R3 alerts me to two bogeys. The first one was a Wilson County S.O. Tahoe sitting in a crossover.
Two crossovers later was the Elmendorf revenue generator in a LEO uniform that immediately lit me up when he recognized my truck as I passed him at one below the PSL....64mph.

He claimed I was doing 72 and I was livid. Livid because this was the 2nd time this guy pulled me over on some B.S.
I told him "That's bullshit and you know it! Why didn't your partner runnin radar in the other crossover pull me over if I was speeding?"
I never raise my voice or speak in a disrespectful manner to anyone but I couldn't help it at this particular time.

I told him my insurance card was in my glovebox and that I was going to retrieve it for him he said "No, it's ok. I'm going to just give you a warning."

The first time he lit me up was about 6 weeks earlier when he claimed tbat he could tell that my windows were too dark when I passed him, as he sat in a crossover, at 65 mph on a pitch black highway after midnight.
Unfortunately, my tint was 20% VLT. 25% VLT is the darkest legal for windows immediately left and right of the driver.

Sent from my

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
The problem with that selective I/O is they are waiting to visually estimate your speed and then hit you. All we need is to see that it’s the right type of vehicle to be a cop and we are already reacting when they think to trigger. It’s always satisfying to beat NCHP to the punch.

RoverTtx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Know this: DPS uses Stalkers. My 18 year old Stalker Dual will acquire speed nearly instantaneously. Those guys are usually very good radar operators and they almost always I/O. Most of them are professional and courteous and I have only run into one who was pretty douchey. Won't talk about him.

At the beginning of the year one clocked me at 25+ over I/O. He stopped me and was very nice, explaining that my speed was excessive but I wasn't who he was looking for. I hadn't even suggested that "these weren't the droids they were looking for." Of course he was far more interested in drunks, warrants, and people whose vehicle reeks of weed before he even gets to the door. My written warning also didn't specify speed. I asked him and he said it was better not to even talk about it.

Another one gave me a written warning for 88 in a 70 more than 10 years ago. I/O of course and I was sure glad I slowed before topping that hill. He was also very nice and decent. He did run the serial number on every firearm in the vehicle but I didn't mind that. That's how stolen guns are recovered.
Interesting!
I told this guy about the rifle in my bag right next to 2 guys but he didn't seem to care.

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I wonder if the lights dipping/moving 'triggered' him into stopping you.

analyzerman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yep Texas troopers are sneaky and I've learned to use my eyes more than anything. Call it crazy but I can recognize Texas trooper silhouette and colors from a good distance. They are good with I/O that's all I get hit with driving through the panhandle.
Truth be known the state boys probably have a pis**ng match as to who has the most I/Os :smug:

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting!
I told this guy about the rifle in my bag right next to 2 guys but he didn't seem to care.
@RoverTtx, hats off for having a rifle in the car. I've been carrying extra mags and more than just a pistol myself lately. Stay safe!

RoverTtx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@RoverTtx, hats off for having a rifle in the car. I've been carrying extra mags and more than just a pistol myself lately. Stay safe!
Keltec Sub2000. I love that thing. We were on a camping/mountain biking trip and that little thing is just perfect for a versatile backpack gun. No license necessary!

Definitely a niche rifle, but it just so happens I fall into that niche.

Last edited:

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Keltec Sub2000. I love that thing. We were on a camping/mountain biking trip and that little thing is just perfect for a versatile backpack gun. No license necessary!

Definitely a niche rifle, but it just so happens I fall into that niche.
Great one. The G2 version even has a threaded barrel but it's still pretty loud even with subsonics through a good can. Don't you love the way it folds over in half? Gave Mom one because she doesn't have the strength for anything heavy, can't take the recoil from a shotgun, and has a nerve issue that keeps her from looking down the sites. Added a Streamlight/Laser combo and she destroys targets with it. It's a great little rifle for an easy price. And they want to ban it.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow! great read. Would have loved for some footage of course. Could they give you a ticket for "seeing you speeding" in general?

RoverTtx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow! great read. Would have loved for some footage of course. Could they give you a ticket for "seeing you speeding" in general?
Many people here are far more knowledgable than I, and could answer the question better...

But as far as I know, you can technically get charged with 'visual speeding'. I dont think that would ever hold up in court though if you have a good lawyer.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Draxx