TXCTG - V1G2 v R7 v Falcon HR Low-powered K off-axis and through foliage 05-31-2020

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
INTRO

So while I still have @InsipidMonkey's Falcon HR, I decided to do some more testing of the V1G2 vs. R7 while I had some time yesterday afternoon. I used the wife's minvan as a radar minivan so I could make sure his gun was safely locked away. I wanted to test K in A Mode on the V1G2 vs. Adv K=40% on the R7 and L Mode vs City mode in an off-axis situation with some good foliage obscuring things until the kill zone.

THE DETECTORS

V1G2 – (fw 41018) – A mode and L mode, KV on, X-Band off. No CF.

R7 – (fw 12129.129.113) – Adv Mode, Ka=100%, Ka narrow, K=40%, K wide, KF on, TSF on, K Block on, MRCD off, X-Band off. Also City mode.

THE RADAR GUN

Falcon HR

The gun was placed on a stand in the back of the minivan shooting out the back window. Here's a picture of the setup. and showing the kill zone with a car coming into it.

Kill Zone.jpg

Car in Kill Zone zoomed.

Kill Zone Zoomed.jpg

Video of car entering Kill Zone

Video of the course

THE RESULTS

I'm going to do this a little differently this time. No charts or graphs. Just pictures of where the first alert occurred for each run. And BTW, ignore the time and date stamp. I hadn't driven my car enough and the capacitor in my dashcam ran out of juice, so it reset itself.

V1G2 A mode K Verifier on (Runs 1-3)

01 V1G2 A mode Run 01.jpg

02 V1G2 A mode Run 02.jpg

03 V1G2 A mode Run 03.jpg

R7 Adv 40% K Wide KF on TSF on K-Block on MRCD off (Runs 1-3)

04 R7 40% KF on TSF on Run 01.jpg

05 R7 40% KF on TSF on Run 02.jpg

06 R7 40% KF on TSF on Run 03.jpg

V1G2 L mode K Verifier On (Runs 1-3)

10 V1G2 L mode Run 01.jpg

11 V1G2 L mode Run 02.jpg

12 V1G2 L mode Run 03.jpg

R7 City K Wide KF on TSF on K-Block on MRCD off (Runs 1-3)

13 R7 City KF on TSF on Run 01.jpg

14 R7 City KF on TSF on Run 02.jpg

15 R7 City KF on TSF on Run 03.jpg

COMMENTARY

• V1G2 A Mode K Verifier On
    • Pretty consistent and slightly longer than R7 at 40%
    • V1G2 may have a bit better off-axis performance
    • Alerted with plenty of time before Kill Zone
  • R7 at 40% K KF on TSF on
    • Slightly shorter than V1G2 in A mode
    • Less consistent in its alerts - Run 2 was definitely shorter by a pretty good bit
    • Generally alerted with plenty off time before Kill Zone, but one alert was getting closer
  • V1G2 L Mode K Verifier on
    • Again, nice consistent performance
    • Alerted ahead of Kill Zone each time
  • R7 City Mode KF on and TSF on
    • Performance was again not as consistent as V1G2
    • Alerted closer to the Kill Zone twice (one pretty close to the Kill Zone which was just after the end of the fence on the right), but had one really long alert given City mode (pretty much in K 40% land)
FINAL THOUGHTS

A nice performance by the V1G2. Generally more consistent than the R7. R7 at 40% didn't quite match V1G2 in A mode on this off-axis low-powered K test course. I was happy to see that L Mode still gave one time to slow down before the kill zone in this test. The R7 in City mode was not quite as confidence inspiring on this test due to the inconsistency. It seems its off-axis performance in City mode may not match its prowess in on-axis testing. It was fun testing the V1G2 and R7 head-to-head again, and this time in a different sort of test.

As always, remember this is just one test. Don’t base your opinion of a detector on just one test. You need to look at various tests, by various people, at various times, on various courses to try to get to a complete picture of a detector. So make sure to look at as many tests as you can, and find out as much information as you can, so you can have an informed opinion about a detector.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Great job with the test! Thank you so much!

If you ever wanna borrow any guns, just say the word. :)

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great testing as always. I like the photo reporting method for this particular course. Impressive results from the V1 in L mode!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice testing @Brainstorm69 !
I think you may find that TSF could cause the inconsistency when facing low powered K band. That would be on par with what we found at the Amish Paradise course with the Falcon HR and the R7 with TSF. After running that test is when I definitively stopped using TSF.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Great testing as usual Brian! Thank you for posting this!

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent job my friend! Thanks for sharing!

Normsky

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The pics help especially if there is anything reflective or blocking signals. Even moving semi tractor trailers!

alloy00

vMax
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the test. I like the presentation style - if it's easier for you (especially when it's a head-to-head comparo) - keep at it!

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great testing. The main thing I wanted to know is which one could save you and it looks like both. So both are an excellent choice, just need to decide what feature set you prefer most and make the purchase. Or just buy both. Ha.

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really great stuff and thanks as always for sharing.....I face this exact situation daily on my drives and it eases my mind somewhat with the V1G2 range on K band....My experiences never seem to be quite that good though....I love the quietness of V1G2 but I keep falling back to how much have they handcuffed K band to achieve this.....I have no excuses though, I have all the testing equipment now to answer all of these questions.....

I love the presentation in this format by the way......

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on your choices of A (All bogeys) and L (Advanced Logic) modes but not small L (Logic) mode? Just curious since many of us use small L mode exclusively. Or, am I misinterpreting what you tested and it was actually small L mode?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on your choices of A (All bogeys) and L (Advanced Logic) modes but not small L (Logic) mode? Just curious since many of us use small L mode exclusively. Or, am I misinterpreting what you tested and it was actually small L mode?
A and l are equivalent, the only difference is whether the initial alert is at the muted volume or full volume.

I run l mode pretty much all the time, so it's nice to see K band performance is equal to or better than the R7 when the R7 is setup to be tolerable.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with that premise of course. If that was the reason, it makes sense. I just wondered what Brainstorm's reason was in case there was something I hadn't thought of.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with that premise of course. If that was the reason, it makes sense. I just wondered what Brainstorm's reason was in case there was something I hadn't thought of.
Nope. That was the thought. A and little L mode are basically the same when it comes to alerts other than from an audio standpoint.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef