R3 k-band tuning suggestions

shumax

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a friend with an R3 that is worn out with all of the BSM falsing. What is the best firmware options/settings to apply to quiet it down to the point he will actually use it?
Thanks!

NorEaster18

Probably stuck in traffic...
Advanced User
Reaction score
I personally run:

Firmware 1.50
Advanced
K Band 70%
K Block ON
K Narrow
K Filter ON
TSF ON

I find that it has a very nice blend of quiet, yet still provides enough alert distance to the many real K band alerts that I see.

With that said:
There are risks with running K Block and K Narrow, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can 100% confirm you won't see any K band guns that will be blocked out by enabling these features. I personally know 2 towns around me that have K band guns that fall within the K Block mute (24.199, + or - .005) and I have to be vigilant to drive slower in those areas.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think It's pretty safe to run K band at around at 40% to 50% which puts it close to the range of many other "quiet" detectors. Make sure to set quiet ride to like 35 mph or greater depending on your habits in town.

Have him try those settings for a while and see how they treat him.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'd probably stick to K at 50%. But that should be enough. I'd also suggest running K-wide until you confirm what being run in your area as @NorEaster18 suggests.

One other question. Is he using lockouts?

shumax

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks, all. He lives in Cincinnati, Ohio and travels the tri-State area there - Norther Kentucky, Southern Indiana. Also, trips down to TN, NC and SC. I will have him try those settings and see what happens. I think the "K-block" is too risky, but that's just me. He understands, generally, what's going on with the unit, but that would be too much for him to remember. :)
Post automatically merged:

He is not using lockouts - forgot to mention that. He really should buy one that he plugs in and it does that for him as he really isn't "in" to it as much as we are. What really irritates him is cruising down the highway and the thing goes full alarm on a BSM. Causes him to about fill his shorts and irritates his wife, too. I get it. Hate to admit, but that's part of why I am now in a V1GEN2. Hardly any BSM falses at all on a recent 1,300 mile trip. Maybe 2-3? Anyway, the R3 is still a great unit for the right person...

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only time I get falses on my R3 seems to be from Hondas with an occasionaly false from other bsms but a quick glance at the read out, looking at the vehicles immediately around me or that have just passed me and listening to the frequency of the beeps tells me if it is legit or not.

I run K wide, K block on and K band sensitivity at 80 or 90%. Half my daily commute (45 miles one way) is hilly twisty secondary roads the other half is interstate. If I get a false from a bsm a quick tap on the mute takes care of it until they are out of range. Then that being said I dont live in a dense urban area either.

Posted from my LM-Q720 using the RDF Mobile App!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickstar93