Need some clarification on placement min/max distances

Blasirl

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is a pretty crude drawing, but it should work. I have read different threads on placement distances until I was blue in the face. What am I missing and which dimensions are correct?

Triple head setup questions.png

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ultimately you want no less than 7 inches between Rx and tx, you can have more no issues. Tx needs to be at least 20 inches off the ground, higher is generally good though keep it somewhat close to center of mass of the car if you can. Each Rx head covers about a 24 inch radius circle around it for reception so you want to place them so that they cover the front area of the car correctly and don't have a lot of coverage off the edge of the car, or excessive overlap in the center. Take a tape measure at 24 inches and sweep it in a circle around the planned Rx mounting spot and make sure that there isn't much outside of that circle that will be a target. Bubble In or out does t really matter much the bubble is the receive part so if having it outward gets you one more inch of coverage where you need it then go ffor it, I'm personally a bubbles out guy.

Blasirl

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ultimately you want no less than 7 inches between Rx and tx, you can have more no issues. Tx needs to be at least 20 inches off the ground, higher is generally good though keep it somewhat close to center of mass of the car if you can. Each Rx head covers about a 24 inch radius circle around it for reception so you want to place them so that they cover the front area of the car correctly and don't have a lot of coverage off the edge of the car, or excessive overlap in the center. Take a tape measure at 24 inches and sweep it in a circle around the planned Rx mounting spot and make sure that there isn't much outside of that circle that will be a target. Bubble In or out does t really matter much the bubble is the receive part so if having it outward gets you one more inch of coverage where you need it then go ffor it, I'm personally a bubbles out guy.
Here is an updated drawing that may make my question clearer.

Triple head setup questions.png

Last edited:

Blasirl

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll just use this as a sounding board and keep posting until I figure it out.

Triple head setup questions part 3.png

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Pretty sure for RX best results you want to be around 22" apart between the sensors (RX heads, from inner edge to inner edge, bubbles in or out whatever you want)
For the TX head, 20" above the ground and 8" from the other heads in whatever orientation you want (edge to edge). You can even go less than 8" between the TX and RX heads. @System

No matter what you'll have to test and tune against the hardest gun in your area.
Post automatically merged:

Doesn't matter if the TX is higher than RX. Closer to CM is better.

Last edited:

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Standard sensors and TX can be as close as 3" to one another without any interference, but I would try to run as close to 8" just to be safe. I have 1 TX and 2 standard sensors within 13" and I have 0 issues. And like said above, elevation on the TX doesn't matter, your idea will work fine

Blasirl

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am trying to make a rubric for anyone to use, not specifically for my install, although I will be using it shortly if things go well. The official published information seems to be a bit lacking. I have a 2013 ALP manual and a 2018 TX insert so far. I have also spent time watching/reading Vortex threads/videos as well. I have a different drawing to upload based on the better information given in the TX manual, but it is on another computer.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steelfed