Upgrading DFR5... what to get?

SharpCheddar92

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been lurking here for a while and decided to finally upgrade from my old little DFR5 I've had for years. In 10 years of driving I never have once gotten a speeding ticket and want to keep it that way.

1. What kind of vehicle you have and do you want a remote or a windshield mount? 2018 WRX, either mount is fine
2. What's your budget? $1000
3. Where you live: NY yet may move in 1 year to Boston, Phily, or Baltimore
4. How you drive? 5-10 over PSL with occasional back mountain road sprints
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) 20% city driving yet majority is flat highway or winding backroads
6. How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all? 3 years with a DFR5
7. Are there curves, hills, obstructions or is the area flat as a pancake. Mix of hills/obstructions with city driving too
8. Are there Redlight cams/speed cams in your area and do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit? Cameras present and GPS wanted
9. Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?" Phone pairing with android could be done
10. Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area? MRCD is in NY as far as I know

I was getting steered toward getting a R7 for it's range, yet was also looking at a Redline EX for it's still decent range and auto lockout features too. I also will be installing APL later on in the summer to for more robust CMs. Any input would be much appreciated!

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would vote Uniden R7 over the Redline EX. It’s a much better detector and value for your money. Also, keep in my Radenso’s Theia is coming sometime in 2020 and with a budget like yours it’s what you would want.

SharpCheddar92

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would vote Uniden R7 over the Redline EX. It’s a much better detector and value for your money. Also, keep in my Radenso’s Theia is coming sometime in 2020 and with a budget like yours it’s what you would want.
Thanks! I feel that all I've read seems to point to the R7 and the Redline in real life is not what it is on paper.

I've seen some info on the Theia seeing that it may be the holy grail in 2020... is Radenso still not releasing a date on it?

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There is no release date other than 2020. If I had to guess, it’ll probably be later in 2020 due to COVID-19 delays, but I honestly know nothing. All I know is that it’ll be well worth the wait when it is released.

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
With a budget of $1000 I would definitely get Theia when it comes out. For now you could get away with an r3 or an r7 if you want arrows. This will allow you to not spend much of your budget, as I would sell whatever you get now when Theia comes out.

NorEaster18

Probably stuck in traffic...
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll continue to throw my hat in the ring for the R series. I have my grievances with it that I have gone into detail on this site, but my R3 has reliably kept me ticket-free for the last year.

Also, with you saying a move to Boston is possible, we have A Ton of K band up here. It's the most frequent band I see. The R series may be a bit more chatty on K band than other detectors, but coming up here with the dense terrain and loads of K band, it will reliably keep you protected.

I would definitely keep your eyes peeled on Theia too if your budget is that high. I know I intend to be in line as soon as it's on sale.

SharpCheddar92

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'll continue to throw my hat in the ring for the R series. I have my grievances with it that I have gone into detail on this site, but my R3 has reliably kept me ticket-free for the last year.

Also, with you saying a move to Boston is possible, we have A Ton of K band up here. It's the most frequent band I see. The R series may be a bit more chatty on K band than other detectors, but coming up here with the dense terrain and loads of K band, it will reliably keep you protected.

I would definitely keep your eyes peeled on Theia too if your budget is that high. I know I intend to be in line as soon as it's on sale.
Thanks for the tid bit. I read the R7 is great for K band detection and I do not mind a more chatty RD

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been lurking here for a while and decided to finally upgrade from my old little DFR5 I've had for years. In 10 years of driving I never have once gotten a speeding ticket and want to keep it that way.

1. What kind of vehicle you have and do you want a remote or a windshield mount? 2018 WRX, either mount is fine
2. What's your budget? $1000
3. Where you live: NY yet may move in 1 year to Boston, Phily, or Baltimore
4. How you drive? 5-10 over PSL with occasional back mountain road sprints
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) 20% city driving yet majority is flat highway or winding backroads
6. How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all? 3 years with a DFR5
7. Are there curves, hills, obstructions or is the area flat as a pancake. Mix of hills/obstructions with city driving too
8. Are there Redlight cams/speed cams in your area and do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit? Cameras present and GPS wanted
9. Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?" Phone pairing with android could be done
10. Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area? MRCD is in NY as far as I know

I was getting steered toward getting a R7 for it's range, yet was also looking at a Redline EX for it's still decent range and auto lockout features too. I also will be installing APL later on in the summer to for more robust CMs. Any input would be much appreciated!
The R7 is a great choice. The way mine is set up, it's not chatty at all. But, I also agree that Theia should be in your price range...if we're all guessing right. It's supposed to be the perfect detector and no one has any reason to doubt that.

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why not just get an ALP, keep your DFR5 until Theia, and be set? Saves you cash, gives you better protection. If not, just get the R3 and save a few hundred and get Laser even still! I have an R3 and chose it over the R7 with $ for ALP and Theia in mind, after reading through what’s been posted around here. Looking forward to when Theia comes out and when I get my hands on a set of jammers! It must feel amazing to have nearly complete protection.

SharpCheddar92

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why not just get an ALP, keep your DFR5 until Theia, and be set? Saves you cash, gives you better protection. If not, just get the R3 and save a few hundred and get Laser even still! I have an R3 and chose it over the R7 with $ for ALP and Theia in mind, after reading through what’s been posted around here. Looking forward to when Theia comes out and when I get my hands on a set of jammers! It must feel amazing to have nearly complete protection.
I am definitely interested in the Theia, but I could get a refurb R7 for only $80 more than the R3. I know people still speak highly of the R3.

And as far as APL... do people recommend doing both front and back? How common is it to get lasers from the rear?

NorEaster18

Probably stuck in traffic...
Advanced User
Reaction score

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Given your budget and Theia on the horizon, I'd definitely support the comments advising you to wait a bit. The R3/7 are excellent detectors, but in a "right now" type of way, not really a "this is the future" type of way.

If you already plan on doing ALP, you can do that first instead of second as @MassGTI suggested. Getting that purchased, installed, and dialed-in might keep you busy for long enough to see a firmer date on Theia, or V1G2 get the kinks worked out and become a monster (though if it still lacks MRCD you might find that a dealbreaker if you stay in NY), or something totally new and unexpected arriving.

Your DFR5 may not be top-tier in radar detection but it's still competent. The biggest holes in your current defense are MRCD and LIDAR, and upgrading to an R series doesn't fix either of those issues, some MRCD detection notwithstanding.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Get an R3 w/ ALP. Wait until Theia is released and get user feedback. If it lives up to the “hype” (doubt it) - buy a Theia and sell your R3 (good resale value, especially for newer produced models - 0A serial numbers).

SharpCheddar92

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback everyone. I am going to get a used R7 if I can find a good price or R3 and in the interim work on ALP

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbny025