V1 G2 flicker and clicking

Deadhead1971

throw a cat in the air it always lands on its feet
Advanced User
Reaction score
Update above- 2 more times this evening. 3 total for today :catstare: Hey VR what is going on? I am going to call VR within the next week. The speculating is over and done, I’m calling to find out wtf is going on.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Maybe processing on the detector is causing a call for more voltage and when that happens, the power circuit can’t hold it due to a failing part and poof, gone, reboot.

87GN

TXCTG Rollin' Steel Wheels============
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you both are meaning to say the same thing but Bloovy is definitely a V1 defender at heart, so it comes out in his posts. I don’t think anyone will argue against that this is either a software or hardware issue and I think we can also all agree that as Bloovy said, some environments might trigger these defects to surface more so than others. That said, let’s not at all discount that there is an issue here at the product level, be it hardware or software.

It’s quite possible the initial power issues were due to crappy Rev C boards and possibly even the 18 firmware on top of that. We have some info from Valentine that’s eluded to the 19 firmware doing something to fix “internal communications issues” possibly between components or whatever that cryptic shit was supposed to mean. 🙄 That said, is anyone with a fairly new detector or one they know has a Rev E board in it with firmware 19 experiencing these dropouts/resets? I think we should at least find that out as firmware 19 might have fixed the reset issue... maybe.

(Edited repeatedly because the rich text post field format autocomplete on these forums sucks ass and messes up words and phrases.)
Both my fw 18 & 19 are Rev. C. Still plugging away!

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you both are meaning to say the same thing but Bloovy is definitely a V1 defender at heart, so it comes out in his posts. I don’t think anyone will argue against that this is either a software or hardware issue and I think we can also all agree that as Bloovy said, some environments might trigger these defects to surface more so than others. That said, let’s not at all discount that there is an issue here at the product level, be it hardware or software.

It’s quite possible the initial power issues were due to crappy Rev C boards and possibly even the 18 firmware on top of that. We have some info from Valentine that’s eluded to the 19 firmware doing something to fix “internal communications issues” possibly between components or whatever that cryptic shit was supposed to mean. 🙄 That said, is anyone with a fairly new detector or one they know has a Rev E board in it with firmware 19 experiencing these dropouts/resets? I think we should at least find that out as firmware 19 might have fixed the reset issue... maybe.

(Edited repeatedly because the rich text post field format autocomplete on these forums sucks ass and messes up words and phrases.)
Huh what? Bloovy a defender of V1 at heart???

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't bother keeping track, as it happened to me while I was on the phone with VR support about the very issue - BT drop issue. Two times within 10 minutes. They assured me the V1 would still alert. Problem is if you are running your V1 muted and relying on App for volume. Also called in and reported the issue that remote mute/mode changes stop working at times and need to reboot the V1. Also a known issue to them. I hate to pile on V1, but since there is no official acknowledgement of these issues either here or on their website, I suggest anyone having these issues, call them on it! Maybe when they see that it IS A VERY noticeable issue that affects many, it may take a HIGHER priority...

Still trust the V1 and since I use the awesome @SquirrelMaster V1CD, its a great combo!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Don't think for a minute that VR is not aware of most of these issues. They know what's going on and are doing their best. But what seems simple sometimes, apparently isn't.
Once the app/update system is operational it'll be easier to deal with this.
I'm looking forward to seeing if the new one has a flicker, my 4.1018 hasn't.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went on an hour long drive this morning, and about 15 minutes into the drive, I hit a stretch in which I had 5 or 6 "V1 Driver disconnected" notices. I was driving near a general aviation airport at the time, and I was also getting various auto-snooze announcements during a fair amount of the time. After about 5 minutes of this, I had no further issues for the remainder of my drive. This was with my 4.1019, 2007 V1G2.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think for a minute that VR is not aware of most of these issues. They know what's going on and are doing their best. But what seems simple sometimes, apparently isn't.
Once the app/update system is operational it'll be easier to deal with this.
I'm looking forward to seeing if the new one has a flicker, my 4.1018 hasn't.
It was explained to me, and it did happen while I was driving past quite a few 18 wheelers. Their BSM systems can overpower, and maybe why my V1 (4.1018 w/repaired power issue) had to "reset". The ESP/remote mute issue is not comforting either.
Again I still run and trust the V1, its just I rather they sort this out sooner rather than later...

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I went on an hour long drive this morning, and about 15 minutes into the drive, I hit a stretch in which I had 5 or 6 "V1 Driver disconnected" notices. I was driving near a general aviation airport at the time, and I was also getting various auto-snooze announcements during a fair amount of the time. After about 5 minutes of this, I had no further issues for the remainder of my drive. This was with my 4.1019, 2007 V1G2.
On our trip to Pa. this weekend my V1G2 lost BT connection for the first time. The first time was in a tunnel, but it did it 4 or 5 more times after that as well. I heard this little bird chirping sound coming from my phone! It was JBV1 letting me know about this! Has anybody else heard this?

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
On our trip to Pa. this weekend my V1G2 lost BT connection for the first time. The first time was in a tunnel, but it did it 4 or 5 more times after that as well. I heard this little bird chirping sound coming from my phone! It was JBV1 letting me know about this! Has anybody else heard this?
I have not heard that yet. I use JBV1 primarily for road trips and use V1 Driver for the "keep it in my pocket" convenience while still getting frequency announcements for trips around town.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Consider taking that same route again, same direction, same speed, etc. and see if it happens again the same way. We’d be interested to know. Thanks in advance.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not heard that yet. I use JBV1 primarily for road trips and use V1 Driver for the "keep it in my pocket" convenience while still getting frequency announcements for trips around town.
The ironic thing about this is I hate that damn chirp in my R1's and RX65 and have made fun of it many times! The first thing I do when I get a R1 is to change the Ka tone to #9 just so I won't ever hear it and dammit I hear it anyway from my V1G2/JBV1 combo! I had to laugh!

catch1147

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have the V1G1 using JBV1 and I experience the the Bluetooth disconnect chirp occasionally, I always thought it was my V1C dongle, but it has never been a real problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been noticing it happen more and more often to me lately.

Wasnt like this initially but it's been ramping up.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've heard that VR themselves say that it's a known / expected behavior.
I wonder if the "drop of Bluetooth" part could be changed???

In any case, apparently MV himself has told a few customers that it happens to him as well and that this is something they are working to reduce the frequency of. They have said they have a lot of room to work with in this new Gen2 architecture.

I suspect that people will see it more often with more driving in more traffic. I personally theorize that a lot of it is triggered by vehicles that don't cause alerts but still heavily pollute the spectrum. I have very little to base that on though.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
So what are you saying? The CPU can’t keep up with still running the Bluetooth stack and processing the detected signals and drops it to keep up? If so, why then the reset look on the detector? I believe there was one user that stated they got this when they had or right before they had a solid alert as they came up on a legit threat and the reset interrupted the threat for a split second. That’s not good man. That’s almost as bad as the 360 sleeping on people and they didn’t know it. It’s a trust thing...

Deadhead1971

throw a cat in the air it always lands on its feet
Advanced User
Reaction score
It’s a phenomenon that needs splainin’. One can easily miss this if your app is set to “not” announce on Bluetooth disconnection, and you are playing music in the car- and not hear the click noise indicating some sort of reset and then the dimming -> bright LED display. This happens fast- all over and done in about maybe 2 seconds. V1 Driver, at least the way my settings are, does NOT announce on reconnection. My guess is more are experiencing this but don’t even know.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s a phenomenon that needs splainin’. One can easily miss this if your app is set to “not” announce on Bluetooth disconnection, and you are playing music in the car- and not hear the click noise indicating some sort of reset and then the dimming -> bright LED display. This happens fast- all over and done in about maybe 2 seconds. V1 Driver, at least the way my settings are, does NOT announce on reconnection. My guess is more are experiencing this but don’t even know.
I agree with this. I thought I wasn't having the issue for a long time because I didn't have the Voice Setting "Speak Disconnected" turned on. Once I turned it on, I realized it was happening with both of my V1G2's. Other than my experience yesterday that I posted above, the discoonects have been pretty infrequent for me.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So what are you saying? The CPU can’t keep up with still running the Bluetooth stack and processing the detected signals and drops it to keep up? If so, why then the reset look on the detector? I believe there was one user that stated they got this when they had or right before they had a solid alert as they came up on a legit threat and the reset interrupted the threat for a split second. That’s not good man. That’s almost as bad as the 360 sleeping on people and they didn’t know it. It’s a trust thing...
You are asking me to define a behavior that I've experienced 2-3 times on one particular day while testing Custom Frequencies. Never happened before that, and hasn't happened since. It may not be related to Custom Frequencies either; but that's when I experienced it.

The reset of Bluetooth might be unavoidable, or an oversight in programming.

I'm not saying anything definite because I don't know for sure what's happening to cause it. I don't believe it's a "can't keep up" issue, but I have gotten the impression that it might be related to radar pollution.

We can't keep using "one user said this" as an absolute definition of any behavior and immediately jump on the "it's broken" bandwagon... That one user could easily be mistaken without the ability to repeatedly test and control variables.

We all are viewing all the detectors from a human-viewable user interface vs what the detectors are really doing. It's not helpful to assume that it's one thing or another at this point.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallm2020