After an accident

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been posted. After having my ALP's installed about 3 months ago, I was just hit in my front end by a Tractor Trailer. Obviously have to go to the body shop and wanted to know what is typical. Is a full uninstall in order? Just unscrew the heads/brackets and tuck them somewhere in the engine bay?

Much appreciated guys...

cactusman

CactusMan
Beginner User
Reaction score
tuck the rd in the engine? id rather i had it while my car was being fixed. Glad you are ok.

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
tuck the rd in the engine? id rather i had it while my car was being fixed. Glad you are ok.
Its just the guy I had do it took him about 4hrs to install. Now its having to undo everything and then do ANOTHER install.

cactusman

CactusMan
Beginner User
Reaction score
thanks for the reply

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the heads typically can unplug from the cables, so I would consider pulling the heads (presuming they aren't damaged) and leave the cables tucked in the engine bay. The full install time probably was partially consumed by the wiring and firewall routing so you would save that time.

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well the heads typically can unplug from the cables, so I would consider pulling the heads (presuming they aren't damaged) and leave the cables tucked in the engine bay. The full install time probably was partially consumed by the wiring and firewall routing so you would save that time.
Ok didn't think of that. Still trying to wrap my head around what just happened. Thank God for the dashcam. I will just have to re-cut the grill again so the heads can come through. Much appreciate the advice.

Heres the video for shits and giggles

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What a dumbass. I’m glad it was just property damaged and no human injuries. I would unplug the heads from the cables and go with that route. Make sure the body shop knows what the cables are so they leave them in place. Hopefully your system wasn’t damaged. Good luck!

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks.
I dont remember because I wasnt paying attention to the install but do the cables connected to the sensors run direct to the CPU in ALP? Essentially I'd have to run again through the firewall?

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It goes like this: the head itself has about a foot long cord attached, that then plugs into a longer cable that runs through the firewall and to the CPU. I would leave the long cable in place and just simply remove the head itself. That way you don’t have to bother with moving cables around the firewall.

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It goes like this: the head itself has about a foot long cord attached, that then plugs into a longer cable that runs through the firewall and to the CPU. I would leave the long cable in place and just simply remove the head itself. That way you don’t have to bother with moving cables around the firewall.
Ok this should be simple then. I'll just have to unscrew the brackets from the frame where we installed.
Thank you
Oh that sucks sorry this happened.
Ahhh I appreciate that man, thanks.
I was just thinking the other day what a pain in the ass if God forbid I got into an accident. Possibility of messing up the sensors, uninstall and reinstall, etc...
What a coincidence.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad you’re ok.
good song on BPM btw. Shanguy : Desolee (Paris/Paname) @Marty K @ARkaband (check it out music heads )

Also it’s great that even your passenger was irritated. That’s a tight squeeze for that truck. I think he was more worried about the other side than your side.

once all is done and the dust is settled: I’d test the head and make sure everything is ok once you get them reinstalled again. Unsure if they were damaged.
Have a pic of the outside of the car ?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What a dumbass.
I'd say the car that double parked was a bigger dumbass for impeding traffic and even having to put the semi rig in that position. Those things are not easy to drive, and even much more difficult in the city, and when people are total douchebags to truck drivers.

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Glad you’re ok.
good song on BPM btw. Shanguy : Desolee (Paris/Paname) @Marty K @ARkaband (check it out music heads )

Also it’s great that even your passenger was irritated. That’s a tight squeeze for that truck. I think he was more worried about the other side than your side.

once all is done and the dust is settled: I’d test the head and make sure everything is ok once you get them reinstalled again. Unsure if they were damaged.
Have a pic of the outside of the car ?
I'd say the car that double parked was a bigger dumbass for impeding traffic and even having to put the semi rig in that position. Those things are not easy to drive, and even much more difficult in the city, and when people are total douchebags to truck drivers.
The kicker is, and I think you can hear me say it, is why she double parked when she could have moved up one car length and pulled in blocking a driveway. Also, it looks like hes paying more attention to her side CAUSE SHE WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF HIM WAIVING HIM THROUGH!!!
I was livid. As a professional driver, you have to use better judgment than to listen to a 19yo guiding a tractor trailer through a tight spot.
The wheel well is in the back seat now

20200530_142929.jpg
20200530_143645.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Even if the heads are damaged, theres no collecting losses for that, correct? The "parking sensors" aren't something I added to my policy for coverage.

Last edited:

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The "parking sensors" aren't something I added to my policy for coverage.
It shouldn't be a claim against your policy, it should be (fully charged) to the semi's policy

AnthonySzum

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a claim against your policy, it should be (fully charged) to the semi's policy
I decided the option to use my policy to get my car fixed and have Geico go after theirs for reimbursement. Otherwise, I would have to be dealing with their insurance policy 1 on 1 and would take longer to get my car fixed.
I thought anything aftermarket not claimed on your own insurance policy wouldn't be covered, regardless of who's insurance is paying. I would imagine someone putting $10,000 rims (highly exaggerated) on their vehicle and not adding it to their policy wouldn't get it covered. If they had added it, their premium would have gone up for the insurance company having to cover such an expensive item.

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use geico, if you know the body shop (geico lets you pick a shop), you can speak to the owner and ask him to be careful with the heads when removing the bumper and explain to them what to do. Theres still slight risk and they wont install it for you, but since they are a body shop they should be delicate enough to remove the bumper and setting your heads aside. You can also ask them be there when they do that part and you can collect the heads yourself. Just an idea if you have no other options!

And i would unscrew the heads after this ( and hold on to them) bc that cable is short and you can find it under the hood. It connects to the longer cable coming from the cpu box to your hood via the firewall (no need to touch that, at all).

Last edited:

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that GEICO would ever cover your parking sensors! They have been known to deny coverage to radar detector owners. I am not sure if they still do that but it was a standard practice of theirs. They also founded a coalition of insurance companies trying to get radar detectors band, it was called GUARD, Group United Against Radar Detectors. They have also donated LIDAR guns to LE agencies that could not afford them.

GTO_04

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that GEICO would ever cover your parking sensors! They have been known to deny coverage to radar detector owners. I am not sure if they still do that but it was a standard practice of theirs. They also founded a coalition of insurance companies trying to get radar detectors band, it was called GUARD, Group United Against Radar Detectors. They have also donated LIDAR guns to LE agencies that could not afford them.

GTO_04
I'd never use GEICO, that being one of several reasons

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd never use GEICO, that being one of several reasons
Same here, GEICO loves donating to toys to LE agencies such as the LTI Marksman back in the day, hence the name "GEICO gun".

F the Gecko, the irony of which shares a resemblance to another animal we all love, lizards.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbny025