Who else is holding on to their V1 while waiting for the V2 issues to get worked out

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
nah, I'm glad I switched. Sure mine died, but it was quickly repaired and I'm very happy running it. My V1 Gen1 has been sitting around collecting dust for a while, but the improved range and BSM filtering are very welcomed improvements and are worth the upgrade. They make me enjoy the V1 experience much more now.

That said, I do have other detectors I can run in case something goes wrong with my Gen2 (which it did) and it's a different story if you're sending in your only detector to be upgraded/swapped out for a new model that may die after you get it.

I suppose if you're looking to upgrade, you can always just order a Gen2 to run for a while and once you're confident that your new model is working well, you can sell your Gen1. Maybe that'd be a way to help ease any trepidation?

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan!
Nope. Didn't wait and I have somewhere around 12,000 miles on my Gen2 already.
I wouldn't want to go back to my Gen1 after being spoiled by the superior BSM rejection I have now.
Post automatically merged:

You could remove that kydex and the other stuff that you need now.

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nope. Glad I switched. Had an old V1 Gen 1 sitting in a drawer for a few years since we "upgraded" to the R1 and R3. Sold the R1 on Ebay - it was way to chatty. Wasn't a fan of the OLED screen either as it had burn in issues.
Overall loving the metal design on the Gen 2. Also love the suction cup mounting as well, doesn't "bounce" like our Unidens do on the windshield.

Using V1 Driver in the background on the iphone is a learning curve but seems like an amazing app so far. Still getting things tweaked.

If it fails its an inconvenience but should be covered under warranty which is a good thing. Take it day by day. So far so good.

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
....you can always just order a Gen2 to run for a while and once you're confident that your new model is working well, you can sell your Gen1........
been mulling this over very much since they released ...

You could remove that kydex and the other stuff that you need now.
I did that recently in fact (new car). I also bought a fuse-tap. Going to work on it this weekend.

At the moment I have the V1 on a blend mount to the mirror. Coiled cord connected to the two-port cigarette lighter and the BT module plugged into the second (Acc) port.

-

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
been mulling this over very much since they released ...
Maybe it's worth a shot? You can always return it or sell it if you don't like it.

I think there's a lot of hesitation based on the reliability issues which is completely understandable, and that seems to overshadow many of the positive aspects of the detector. The power failures make headlines, but once you get past that, you've got a pretty fantastic detector to run on your windshield which is why I think a lot of people who've upgraded are happy running the detector. I guess it's just making that leap initially, knowing that something may go wrong, is enough to push many people away from giving it a shot in the first place.

It might be interesting to see a poll of V1 Gen2 users to see if they're happy they upgraded or if they regret it.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Got my gen2 pretty early after release, I really like it. No troubles yet *knock on wood*... but I didn’t get rid of my updated gen1 just yet either. Just kicking around the idea of selling it while someone can still get some better use than me letting it collect dust in the garage. I want to be nostalgic, but I am borderline hoarding over here as it is.

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
AE9B4113-5BEC-490F-A9B5-1D2654E20226.jpeg

52EFEF8F-E2F3-4E7E-9922-59D2E0AFEBBF.jpeg

FF92A9F2-F0C4-452D-8195-1ECA4F067011.jpeg

a pretty fantastic detector to run
I've watched your recent testing videos, thinking perhaps the R7 might be the go-to, but that V2 is right there, I like the design better, and I'm used to using V1 Driver from my time with the V1 lol.

-

Last edited:

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My Gen 1 will either be traded, sold, or I'll hold onto it as a collector's item. If you want a detector to use every day, the G2 seems like the obvious choice.

But if the Gen 1 is your only detector, meaning that you have no backup if it has to be sent in for service, I could see holding out for another month or whatever to make sure that the quality control issues are ironed out.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Got my gen2 pretty early after release, I really like it. No troubles yet *knock on wood*... but I didn’t get rid of my updated gen1 just yet either. Just kicking around the idea of selling it while someone can still get some better use than me letting it collect dust in the garage. I want to be nostalgic, but I am borderline hoarding over here as it is.
horading.jpg

Raf1919

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm more upset that I sold R7 then buying V2. Since now I have nothing while my unit is in for repairs. Luckily with covid not huge issue as working at home. But I don't regret it one bit the updates are worth it.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

springer1981

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My V1G1 is going to my truck. It works exceptionally well in my area and will compliment the truck. My Daily driver gets the V1G2.

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've got my shipping box ready to go as soon as VR starts taking trade ins again. Today is May 29, they need to update their website where it says upgrades will start again later in May...unless they mean May 2021.
Meantime my G1 is still detectin'.

camkuhns

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m hanging on to my VG1 and after I get the funds, which will be sometime between Father’s Day and Labor Day, I will be ordering a VG2. I have no intention to sell my VG1 but will use it as backup in case my future VG2 has to get sent back for repairs/ hardware upgrades.

fjonathan

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My Gen 1 will either be traded, sold, or I'll hold onto it as a collector's item. If you want a detector to use every day, the G2 seems like the obvious choice.

But if the Gen 1 is your only detector, meaning that you have no backup if it has to be sent in for service, I could see holding out for another month or whatever to make sure that the quality control issues are ironed out.
How can you say the G2 is the obvious choice with known power failures, some happening twice and front screen de lamination issues?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcthome