V1G2 not powering on. Second time - same detector

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be that they’re in a rush and scrambling due to repairs and looking stuff up and putting down the wrong info. Wouldn’t surprise me. One thing to remember... the % of failures we’ve seen with forum members has also been seen in the outside world... not everyone that bought one is registered here as a member. Something to think about.
Yeah, there's no way anyone on the forum can get the actual number of failed units outside of the forum. I think it would be safe to figure the percentage would be at least close to what we're seeing here.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way anyone on the forum can get the actual number of failed units outside of the forum. I think it would be safe to figure the percentage would be at least close to what we're seeing here.
I’d have to agree with that. Many have reported issues that have come from sales and were not on a pre-order waiting list .... so it’s both.

No reason to to believe the % of failed units wouldn’t be that far off RDF’s. Maybe 5% at most.... which is still pretty bad.

Understandable there might be some growing pains. 1 in 10 is pretty high normally in the real world. That’s usually enough to hurt sales and confidence. You can recover from that, but it takes some work, and it could take longer to gain consumer confidence.

1 in 4? 25%. On bigger scale, other than niche product like a radar detector, that could kill the product to the point it may not be able to recover no matter what, unless they changed the name. Even then....

MadMaxD

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear @MadMaxD. Seems odd that your initial delivery along with the 1st repaired delivery would go to your mailing address, and then this last delivery went to your billing address. Has your contact with VR been with email, phone, or both? I've read that VR is more responsive to phone calls, but I feel email is better for consumers so they can keep a paper trail of what both parties are saying or doing. Interested to hear how VR resolves this for you.
It's funny you say that because I emailed on the second failure and never got a response, but picking up the phone I got someone on the line. I was never emailed return tracking either, and had it been mailed to my mailing address, I would have gotten text updates from FedEx.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
FWIW, that's not a true as you might think. We got a pre-sale week that most people didn't know about. The failures off of RDF have been sparse in the areas I've looked into. (I can't be everywhere though. I'd never get 12,000 13,076 miles on my Gen2 if I was on the internet that much. :) )
It’s not just the presale units man. Come on... Look at the few units that went back and failed again. I’d bet my life more have failed than what we’ve kept count of on this forum.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You weren't here during the pre-sale week. I know these people to some degree and know more about when they ordered and what units have failed and what VR was doing during that week.

I didn't say that all of them are March 4th to March 11th units, but a majority of the units bought by RDF members are from that week.

Please read more and argue less.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
85-90. Best guess.
I'll see if I can find a post in private where we discussed the amount of money VR had in orders after only a few days.

Found one, but not early enough. 110 RDF buyers as of 3/31. $55,000

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So with that info, are you saying someone close to the company knows info or you’re just using numbers from people here that flat out bought?

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's info only from RDF members. A few bought more than one unit. Other info outside of RDF was not included.

Currently we sit at 145+ Gen2s in RDF and I believe that Johnboy00 didn't add his 2 to that list so maybe 147+.

Last edited:

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Built in the USA but *not* using parts made in the USA.

That might be the bigger issue here.
That's not really Mike's fault, there are numerous parts in the V1 and every detector that the USA literally doesn't produce. I remember back in the noPhoto days I tried to use as much USA parts as possible and was shocked to discover that nobody in the USA produced suitable electrolytic photo flash capacitors. Or suitable flash tubes. Or...pretty much everything. It was then that I realized we have completely outsourced 95% of our electronics parts manufacturing capability.

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's not really Mike's fault, there are numerous parts in the V1 and every detector that the USA literally doesn't produce. I remember back in the noPhoto days I tried to use as much USA parts as possible and was shocked to discover that nobody in the USA produced suitable electrolytic photo flash capacitors. Or suitable flash tubes. Or...pretty much everything. It was then that I realized we have completely outsourced 95% of our electronics parts manufacturing capability.
I hear this same lament across multiple industries. Someone wants to build something in the USA from US-manufactured parts, but in the end they discover that some things simply cannot be sourced here, and that even some vendors who build similar components to what is needed have no interest in building something to the required spec, even for non-trivial volumes.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I find it ironic how everyone (not here, just generalizing) harps on how we should be building things here or making more things using US parts but they overlook the simple facts like Jon brought up. We just don’t make stuff here to be able to make stuff. So many misinformed individuals in this country. 🤦‍♂️

tumblr_okyfp7SrNJ1w5uwjwo1_400.gif

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
^^^ Then don’t try to use “made in America” as a selling point for your product. Somewhat deceiving.

maxsalvo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
For those who care -

Got my unit back today. Same device. No explanation, apology or offer for a small discount on a future product for the trouble.

Myself, as a person who sells products to consumers and retailers, I would bend over backwards to make sure my customers were happy with every transaction. If someone spent $500 on a product and had to return it twice to get it to work properly I would feel terrible. I would also do whatever I could to let that customer know that I sincerely felt that way. No note or explanation in regards to my brand new product failing twice is more like a slap in the face. Up until now my experience with this company has been stellar with the exception of overpriced shipping on very small accessories. This is really too bad and surprising. (picture me sitting here shaking my head back and forth). The only positive thing I can say about all of this is the quick turn around time when sending it back for repair(s). Even though they sent it back to the billing address and not the proper shipping address. Oh well. We will see how long it lasts this time.

riseboi

The Martian
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
For those who care -

Got my unit back today. Same device. No explanation, apology or offer for a small discount on a future product for the trouble.

Myself, as a person who sells products to consumers and retailers, I would bend over backwards to make sure my customers were happy with every transaction. If someone spent $500 on a product and had to return it twice to get it to work properly I would feel terrible. I would also do whatever I could to let that customer know that I sincerely felt that way. No note or explanation in regards to my brand new product failing twice is more like a slap in the face. Up until now my experience with this company has been stellar with the exception of overpriced shipping on very small accessories. This is really too bad and surprising. (picture me sitting here shaking my head back and forth). The only positive thing I can say about all of this is the quick turn around time when sending it back for repair(s). Even though they sent it back to the billing address and not the proper shipping address. Oh well. We will see how long it lasts this time.
Here's to hoping third time's the charm, OP. :cheers:

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Assembled in the USA from globally sourced components...
That’s actually a really common label nowadays because of this very discussion.

I’ma Union member in a right to work state which means the union can’t force anything, and really only can negotiate in good faith with no binding agreements.... just a memorandum of understanding.

But I still try and buy Made in the USA when it’s possible.... it’s just not possible very often anymore.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
85-90. Best guess.
I'll see if I can find a post in private where we discussed the amount of money VR had in orders after only a few days.

Found one, but not early enough. 110 RDF buyers as of 3/31. $55,000
Do you think that was most of the sales or the majority during that week? $55k seems like a low haul, has to be much more. Seems awful low in numbers. Seems like just to be viable they would need to sell 5x that. Then again I don't know what margin and expenses are.

ARH1956

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you think that was most of the sales or the majority during that week? $55k seems like a low haul, has to be much more. Seems awful low in numbers. Seems like just to be viable they would need to sell 5x that. Then again I don't know what margin and expenses are.
The total number of V1's sold could easily be 100 times that of those reported in the RDF forum. Or a 1,000 times more.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickstar93