Utah: 119 tickets for 100+ in four days

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
It looks like people are opening things up in Utah with the lower traffic levels. The photos in the news story show a radar hit, but the Twitter link shows multiple laser hits. I saw one at 500 ft and one at 1000 ft. Even with jamming devices, a hit at 100+ at that 500 ft range is going to put you pretty close before deactivation or punch through. I imagine it would be obvious enough, you might have a conversation regardless of reading.

I saw somebody comment on Facebook that they were deleting all police markers on Waze and Google. I don’t know if they were serious or not, but I’ve been around that type in my day.

I posted this for FYI and intel purposes only. I’m not advocating for or against those kinds of speeds on public roadways. Be careful out there everyone.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It looks like people are opening things up in Utah with the lower traffic levels. The photos in the news story show a radar hit, but the Twitter link shows multiple laser hits. I saw one at 500 ft and one at 1000 ft. Even with jamming devices, a hit at 100+ at that 500 ft range is going to put you pretty close before deactivation or punch through. I imagine it would be obvious enough, you might have a conversation regardless of reading.

I saw somebody comment on Facebook that they were deleting all police markers on Waze and Google. I don’t know if they were serious or not, but I’ve been around that type in my day.

I posted this for FYI and intel purposes only. I’m not advocating for or against those kinds of speeds on public roadways. Be careful out there everyone.

I like how they admitted that they cited all those drivers for going to fast then admitted there were zero fatal accidents during the same weekend when all those people were going fast. People drive mid 90s on the highway daily near me and there are definitely people hitting the triple digits pretty regularly and it's not really that insane....

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been out doing a lil' fun 'plinking' here & there. I've seen many (countless actually) in the 85-95+, but surprisingly not a single triple digit yet.

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’m from Utah and saw this story on the news tonight. The majority of 100+ speeders was in Southern Utah where the roads are generally wide open and relatively straight. (There were 4 or 5 fatalities on non-freeways this weekend where speed may have played a factor on roads where speeding isn’t very safe.

On my way home from work Monday morning I heard the local troopers talking about and then setting up a Lidar speed trap and then calling out the “party” as they called it. They weren’t even stopping people unless they were 15 over. (70 PSL, so 85 or more to join the disco).

They picked an area that I’m familiar with that is a well known nickname to people in the area but I’d never seen them using Lidar here before. They must’ve been double staffed for the holiday because it sounded like there was 5 or 6 of them in an area that only 2-3 usually work.

Most hits were between 800-1500, but I did hear one as short as 475.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well there's generally nothing wrong with doing 120 mph on I-80 across the Bonneville Salt Flats on a clear day with no traffic. There's something wrong with doing 90 through the urban area with heavy traffic. But absolute speed doesn't really have anything to do with that, it's more about knowing what conditions, visibility, traffic, and vehicle you have at any given time.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
From 0001 hours on May 22 through 2359 hours on May 25
Traffic Stops: 4,732
Speed Citations/Warnings issued: 3,481
Speed Citations Issued for over 100 mph: 119
Reckless Driving Arrests: 17
DUI Arrests: 54
Pursuits: 2
Crashes Investigated: 182

Source:
Code:
https://dpsnews.utah.gov/utah-highway-patrol-memorial-day-weekend-recap/

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I live up in Idaho but drove to Salt Lake on Memorial Day weekend. It was a Utah statie party. I was hit multiple times with IO Ka Band on 15 south and north. They hide up on an entrance ramp and blast people with IO as they drive by them. The Pro M gave me plenty of warning. I also got nostalgic and pulled out my Bel Pro 300 and it did a fine job sniffing out the popo as well.

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well there's generally nothing wrong with doing 120 mph on I-80 across the Bonneville Salt Flats on a clear day with no traffic. There's something wrong with doing 90 through the urban area with heavy traffic. But absolute speed doesn't really have anything to do with that, it's more about knowing what conditions, visibility, traffic, and vehicle you have at any given time.
Like I say, I’m not advocating for or against that sort of behavior. I’m just providing a little intel. But I do agree context is key. I may or may not have gone the fastest in my life on the Salt Flats where the interstate is very divided, traffic was very lite, and visibility was for miles. If that sort of thing had happened, I may or may not have been at the wheel. And suppose this weekend I did reach speeds like quoted in this article. That would not have been in high traffic with low visibility, but rather a scarcely populated county on a 4 lane highway for a short period of time. On a side note, I don’t own, nor have I been in one of those 4.0 twin turbo 560 HP Audi’s, but they sure can fly. It’s fun to watch, even from behind. Highly recommended.
Post automatically merged:

I’m from Utah and saw this story on the news tonight. The majority of 100+ speeders was in Southern Utah where the roads are generally wide open and relatively straight. (There were 4 or 5 fatalities on non-freeways this weekend where speed may have played a factor on roads where speeding isn’t very safe.

On my way home from work Monday morning I heard the local troopers talking about and then setting up a Lidar speed trap and then calling out the “party” as they called it. They weren’t even stopping people unless they were 15 over. (70 PSL, so 85 or more to join the disco).

They picked an area that I’m familiar with that is a well known nickname to people in the area but I’d never seen them using Lidar here before. They must’ve been double staffed for the holiday because it sounded like there was 5 or 6 of them in an area that only 2-3 usually work.

Most hits were between 800-1500, but I did hear one as short as 475.
There used to be a spot near Ogden with a nickname for the locals but I don’t know if that still exists. Several years ago I read in the local newspaper in that area (remember those?) of a similar enforcement where they posted a LIDAR shooting officer on an overpass or hill who radioed ahead for a conversationalist to stop speeders for a get-to-know-you gathering. This was before social distancing.

Like I said earlier, even with jammers, I don’t think going 100+ at 500 feet is going to get you out of a conversation. That is just too obvious. In fact, in Utah, the said conversation may result in an equipment violation fine. Especially if you’re hit from behind, you jam the brakes, and there is no reading until your brake lights go out.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, I've been out doing a lil' fun 'plinking' here & there. I've seen many (countless actually) in the 85-95+, but surprisingly not a single triple digit yet.
Is this in Utah? Ever run into jammers during said plinking?

Last edited:

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just did a spirited ny-boston run. Only saw 1 masp within 20 min of boston. He was marked on waze, facing traffic in a construction zone. ALP, NR and V1 were all silent. I would not have looked good if I went past him at my pace before waze gave me a heads up! Drive back was quick, but they were definitely out an about, even saw one shooting lidar on the other side not far from the MA/NY border on 90.

BTW on the way there I WAS PASSED by 1 car! It prompted me to pull out the ATR. I would spot check cars ahead, or prospective rabbits. NOT ONE had an RD or responded to Ka while well above PSL. For 'speeder maids' handing out tickets, for the most part it's like shooting fish in a barrel! No need for IO or trickery. Most speeders do it unprotected!

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I really need to get out and do some driving before traffic gets heavy again.

It’s already picked up by me... so at this stage I’d say you’re not going to have much fun. Granted I could hit triple digits even on a busy day trying to avoid the Illinois ID10T’s... oh wait...

I kid I kid...

• Haha
Reactions: RRJ

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is this in Utah? Ever run into jammers during said plinking?
No, I'm in NewEngland & the Lidar plinking was on a 6-Lane Expressway outside of Boston.

Reactions: RRJ

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, I'm in NewEngland & the Lidar plinking was on a 6-Lane Expressway outside of Boston.
Please don't "plink" this weekend as I'll be driving thru ;)

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Please don't "plink" this weekend as I'll be driving thru ;)
Ok, I won't !
(I'll be distracted doing some real Testing & concentrating on an RDF victim) :D

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not surprised in utah, it's wide open out there, amazing how so many people think radar detectors don't work or are illegal.

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not surprised in utah, it's wide open out there, amazing how so many people think radar detectors don't work or are illegal.

I've never been let down by a radar detector in Utah. Usually pick up their I/O shots 3+ miles out.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Extract0r