Help! JBV1 downloaded onto an android phone using in-car wifi

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK, I use my iPhone XR for everything except JBV1. I recently bought a Wal-Mart TracPhone which is a Samsung Galaxy J2. The phone connects to my home wifi and the car's wifi no problem. It is when I click on the JBV1 app that I have issues. I should note, I have ordered a Valentine 1 Gen 2. It is backordered. Meaning, my detector unit will ship hopefully by the end of the month. The man behind Vortex Radar said that JBV1 will work without being connected to a V1Gen2 through bluetooth. Although, just not as well. I cannot get JBV1 app screen to actually come up and show me where the threats are. The very last screen is all I can get to come up. Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated!!!
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Click on Menu > Settings > Connection > Standalone >Standalone Mode Unlocked

I'd suggest also turning on Auto Switch to Standalone if you plan to have any sort of Kill switch for your V1. Poke around in that area a bit and also one level back. :)

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Click on Menu > Settings > Connection > Standalone >Standalone Mode Unlocked

I'd suggest also turning on Auto Switch to Standalone if you plan to have any sort of Kill switch for your V1. Poke around in that area a bit and also one level back. :)

OK, I unlocked standalone mode. I am not sure how to turn on autoswitch. I still can't get JBV1 to bring the map up and show me what it is I am supposed to be seeing. Still the same screen as before with Connect Menu Alert Log

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
OK, I unlocked standalone mode. I am not sure how to turn on autoswitch. I still can't get JBV1 to bring the map up and show me what it is I am supposed to be seeing. Still the same screen as before with Connect Menu Alert Log
To run JBV1 without a V1 connected, go to Menu > Standalone.

Under Menu > Settings > Connection > Standalone you can also configure Standalone mode to auto-start when it detects a certain BT or WiFi device. For example. I run a R7 in one vehicle and I have JBV1 to auto-start in standalone mode when my phone connects to that vehicle's Bluetooth.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
To run JBV1 without a V1 connected, go to Menu > Standalone.

Under Menu > Settings > Connection > Standalone you can also configure Standalone mode to auto-start when it detects a certain BT or WiFi device. For example. I run a R7 in one vehicle and I have JBV1 to auto-start in standalone mode when my phone connects to that vehicle's Bluetooth.

Yeah, still can't get it to work. Not sure what the hell to do. It is definitely frustrating.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Or temporarily click Menu > Standalone.

JBV1 is a work in progress and it takes a little time to jump in. There's some videos and instructions both being worked on.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Or temporarily click Menu > Standalone.

JBV1 is a work in progress and it takes a little time to jump in. There's some videos and instructions both being worked on.

Yeah but, how do you start the program at least? What do you do?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That was it. Menu > Standalone. That starts it in standalone mode until you get your V1 and then the V1 will trigger it to start.

There might be a few steps to getting it set up the way you'd really like.
I haven't been a new user to JBV1 in over 2 years and I had YaV1 experience for 2+ years before that. I've made adjustments over the years and I don't know what JBV1 looks like as a fresh install.

When you start it in standalone mode, what are you seeing?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Right, as others have said, you should be able to launch it from Menu > Standalone.

Here's a quick demo if it helps from the JBV1 vids I'm working on at the moment.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Right, as others have said, you should be able to launch it from Menu > Standalone.

Here's a quick demo if it helps from the JBV1 vids I'm working on at the moment.

OK, I am not being given the standalone option in the menu settings.

So, Menu>Settings> Missing Standalone....
Post automatically merged:

IMG_2392[1].JPG

Last edited:

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

View attachment 148547

OK I found it. You have to uncheck standalone in the settings

OK, Here is what I am seeing now on the screen. Not sure what any of this means. Also, I can't see any of the maps I see in Vortex
IMG_2393[1].JPG
Radar's video's on youtube.

Last edited:

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This app is extremely customizable. To make it that way, there are a lot of settings you can choose from to make it work the way you want. The way Vortex runs it may not be the most intuitive way for you (or me).

Take your time and look around the settings...seek and ye shall find. There's a member-created website: https://jbv1.app/ that will soon have a lot of great tips and videos. Maybe start there? Scan (or search) the pages in this JBV1 section for "newbie" or "new user" or "initial setup" (no offense intended at all). I think even Vortex started his research into the app in here. :)

Without a connection to a V1, you'll get mostly crowd-sourced alerts. Still very useful, but when you connect your V1 it'll show you the real power.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
OK I found it. You have to uncheck standalone in the settings

Glad you got it working!

OK, Here is what I am seeing now on the screen. Not sure what any of this means.

Take a look at the video in this thread to help you get started learning the interface. (I'm working on a similar video as well because I get it, it's not the most intuitive thing when you start out.)

It also looks like you've created a range mark. If you press that red button towards the bottom, you can create different manually marked locations. (Range lets you get the distance to a specific location that updates in realtime as you drive.) If you like, you can tap on that range tool on your display and you'll get a popup that lets you delete it.

Also, I can't see any of the maps I see in Vortex Radar's video's on youtube.

Many of the features, including the alert map, are turned off by default. JBV1 is a highly customizable app with a TON of options available at your disposal.

You can spend some time diving in the settings. There's also this JBV1 settings guide available as well that helps explain the different menu options in the app.

To enable the map, go to Settings > Display > Alert Map. Then check Alert Map Enabled. If you scroll down, you'll see a ton of options available to begin customizing the map the way you desire.

Since you're starting out running the app without a V1, also check out the section in the settings titled "Features That Require Data" since those are all features that you can use without having a V1 paired.

You can of course run through all the settings in the meantime to start getting familiar with the different options available for the V1 and for JBV1.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwr