Nanaimo BC Granny has a lead foot...

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Absolutely insane. For those interested in the conversion, she was doing about 75 mph in a 55 zone that changed to a 45. Careless, possibly. Grounds for a 7-day impound and $2800 fine against an old lady who had been driving for 50 years without a single ticket? Only in the police state that Canada is rapidly becoming. It seems like we get another of these stories in here every few days. Shame on the Canadian lawmakers for allowing these disproportionate penalties and shame on their police for enforcing them.

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What a dick cop. Like show some discretion and just give her a speeding ticket and call it a day. Especially with a driving record like that.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our excessive speeding laws are pure lunacy. I'm afraid that some U.S. states have pretty extreme excessive speeding laws too, so neither of our countries is immune to this overzealous B.S.
Our politicians and police aren't getting any more intelligent it seems, so our only hope is effective CM's.

nighthawk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was just talking about this same case where you can get struck hard by the changing of speed limits. Many times they sit at the change of speed limits, a place by me you come off the off ramp (100 -> 80 -> 60 km/hr) which happens abruptly and LEO are just sitting and waiting to grab people as soon as they pass the sign.

It is getting hard to drive "to the conditions" sometimes, when you always have to look over your shoulder (no pun intended). Merging onto the road or letting someone in without slamming on the brakes becomes tricky when you have to watch your speed to +- 6 km/hr while still being safe to merge on the highway.

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago, my parents were driving back from my cousin's wedding in Ottawa, ON. My Mom did the same thing. She passed an idiot doing 40km under the limit. She passed him, went down the hill (2 lane secondary highway - middle of no where) - Bang OPP LEO at the bottom. Young guy. He got her for 48 over the limit. She hadn't had time to slow down as she just passed the other car. She hasn't had a ticket in over 30 years. Cop actually said to her "it's too bad you weren't doing 2 km/hr more, I could have taken your car". My Dad told him to get a life. They went to court to fight it, and got it reduced to 15 km/hr over the limit, so much less of a fine. My Dad was talking to a couple of older OPP Coppers in the courtroom. Even they said the new Officers are ridiculous and rarely exercise any leniency.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago, my parents were driving back from my cousin's wedding in Ottawa, ON. My Mom did the same thing. She passed an idiot doing 40km under the limit. She passed him, went down the hill (2 lane secondary highway - middle of no where) - Bang OPP LEO at the bottom. Young guy. He got her for 48 over the limit. She hadn't had time to slow down as she just passed the other car. She hasn't had a ticket in over 30 years. Cop actually said to her "it's too bad you weren't doing 2 km/hr more, I could have taken your car". My Dad told him to get a life. They went to court to fight it, and got it reduced to 15 km/hr over the limit, so much less of a fine. My Dad was talking to a couple of older OPP Coppers in the courtroom. Even they said the new Officers are ridiculous and rarely exercise any leniency.
I had a similar experience with my first ever speeding ticket when I was 16, being tailgated at night by a cop and then pulled over after I sped up. That permanently changed my perception of traffic enforcement and opened my eyes to the sad fact that it's only loosely related to safety. Too many traffic cops are motivated by their own egos and the arbitrary power that comes with being a cop. They've lost sight of their real purpose which is to protect us, and have become a problem themselves.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Many times they sit at the change of speed limits, a place by me you come off the off ramp (100 -> 80 -> 60 km/hr) which happens abruptly and LEO are just sitting and waiting to grab people as soon as they pass the sign.
Those rapid speed limit reductions (pun intended) should at least be spaced so a simple lift of the throttle will let the car easily slow to the new speed limit(s) and not require any braking on the part of the driver.

That would help keep a smoother flow of traffic which is the supposed intent to laws to increase safety, not to create an opportunity to write more tickets/revenue.

Cherry patch enforcement is BS, and frankly, just f'n lazy to "show" their bosses without any real effectiveness to increased safety.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those rapid speed limit reductions (pun intended) should at least be spaced so a simple lift of the throttle will let the car easily slow to the new speed limit(s) and not require any braking on the part of the driver.

That would help keep a smoother flow of traffic which is the supposed intent to laws to increase safety, not to create an opportunity to write more tickets/revenue.

Cherry patch enforcement is BS, and frankly, just f'n lazy to "show" their bosses without any real effectiveness to increased safety.
Yup. You got it.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A lawyer has taken the case pro bono according to the news coverage.

They showed the area; advance speed limit reduction warning signs, and a radar speed sign board. Gives the appearance of a high enforcement/collision area.

I suspect at the very least she'll get a fine reduction based on her age and financial circumstances.

According to the lawyer they interviewed it'll take a year to get to court and regardless of the outcome, she'll still be on the hook for the tow and seven days storage.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The people who support this kind of enforcement (and judging from online comments there are many) are, in my mind, people with whom I could never have an intelligent discussion on the subject of traffic safety.
Did this driver deserve a ticket? Arguably yes, but not the legal walloping she got. This law is truly an ass.

Beetle

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Absolutely insane. For those interested in the conversion, she was doing about 75 mph in a 55 zone that changed to a 45. Careless, possibly. Grounds for a 7-day impound and $2800 fine against an old lady who had been driving for 50 years without a single ticket? Only in the police state that Canada is rapidly becoming. It seems like we get another of these stories in here every few days. Shame on the Canadian lawmakers for allowing these disproportionate penalties and shame on their police for enforcing them.
The law may be ok but the situation did it warrant the fine I doubt it but the money made is huge . If this was a B&E it would have been nothing but a slap on the wrist dispite the trauma it would have left .
In some ones home for life. but the full details need to come out in court. Hope she wins and judge is open to having a true case but not likely.🤮

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs259