Advice needed: Orlando Fl to Columbia SC

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to drive from Orlando to Columbia next month, did it a couple of times before, most recent less that 2 years ago.
I'm a hard Waze and V1 user and since I'll be on a rented car ALP will not be available.
Normally I take 4 to Daytona Beach then I95 all the way to 26. Use to do 85ish with low Waze or V1 activity, no issues.

Does things changed significantly on regards of LEOs hotspots and stuff?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Currently I would suggest that you supplement Waze with an other app you can run in the background like Highway Radar or JBV1.
Waze hasn't been showing alerts lately for me.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello @DOUG773, this is spooky but I am leaving tomorrow (Tuesday, May 26) for the same trip same route. I live in Orlando and my sister lives in Columbia SC. My car is equipped with ALP, NetRadar, dashcam, and all the popular smart phone apps. From Columbia I will travel to Nashville, so my return trip will be a different route. I will report back to this message thread my findings during my trip to Columbia.

Cheers

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello @DOUG773, this is spooky but I am leaving tomorrow (Tuesday, May 26) for the same trip same route. I live in Orlando and my sister lives in Columbia SC. My car is equipped with ALP, NetRadar, dashcam, and all the popular smart phone apps. From Columbia I will travel to Nashville, so my return trip will be a different route. I will report back to this message thread my findings during my trip to Columbia.

Cheers
Lovely! Wish you a safe ride!
Post automatically merged:

Currently I would suggest that you supplement Waze with an other app you can run in the background like Highway Radar or JBV1.
Waze hasn't been showing alerts lately for me.
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated!

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I should add for those that don't know:

JBV1 can work alongside Waze in three modes:
  • Waze on Android Auto from the phone and JBV1 on the phone screen. (How I do it)
  • Split screen on the phone with half dedicated to JBV1 and half for Waze. JBV1 can set this up automatically each time it starts.
  • JBV1 loads itself first and then loads Waze on top of it only showing an alert box overlay when necessary. (My previous favorite method)

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I should add for those that don't know:

JBV1 can work alongside Waze in three modes:
  • Waze on Android Auto from the phone and JBV1 on the phone screen. (How I do it)
  • Split screen on the phone with half dedicated to JBV1 and half for Waze. JBV1 can set this up automatically each time it starts.
  • JBV1 loads itself first and then loads Waze on top of it only showing an alert box overlay when necessary. (My previous favorite method)
That's really precious info! Thanks a lot. :)
Post automatically merged:

That's really precious info! Thanks a lot. :)
Hi there!.
Could you be more specific on this: "Waze on Android Auto from the phone and JBV1 on the phone screen. (How I do it) ". I'm not familiar with Android Auto.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There are various setups for various cars, etc. but once you have your phone interacting with your vehicle's Android Auto (following the auto manufacturers instructions), Waze is one of the items in there automatically if it's installed on the phone. :)

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Cheers
You do know the highway your driving has the most drug bust between 95 corridor and i26 either way your SCREWED
Dont even drive in jam mode in south Carolina. They will **** with you hard...my encounter with them was in Clinton sc, right before NC border. Good luck. Check surrounding laws. I drive that way yearly to mountains. Georgia will mess with you hard but they probably are getting your speed being in Georgia...land of the dragon and they shoot from the rear.
Good luck
Alot of k band in sc
Also newly ka converts in all parts of sc and nc.
NC went with upgraded ka band units...
Sc got to keep k band and got alot of laser! Illegal here so be careful....cops know and they'll mess with ya not worth it. Good radar you should be fine.
I personally drove with my jammers on..only cause I know they tested not throwing codes and I kill so fast(kill switch led flash alert on steering wheel) canf miss alert and I kill.
Georgia is a different beast. They shoot rear shots mainly and dala dragon compact guns. Good luck here. I need vpr improvement here I think as in testing the rear not so good. Front is solid

Beachman64

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi, have a safe trip.
Traffic is picking up do to restrictions being lifted and people are getting out.

Just did a trip from Pa. to WinterHaven Florida and back to Pa. 2 weeks ago. Seen lots a traps.
Had cruisers in the woods in between lanes. Roll up behind you in unmarked, then paint you with I/O. (Had that happen several times, I guess because I had Pa. Tags). My Pro-m went full tilt screaming with I/O Ka several times but never saw them.

Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina where pretty light on police presence with only occasional hits. Classic text book encounters.

But South Carolina, Georgia and Florida was pretty intense, They were definitely into replenishing their state revenue mood.

Lots of unmarked Chargers, Durangos, 2-mustangs, and Explorers. A few Sheriff ford 4dr black pickups, lettered but now light bars.

We had periods of nothing and then I swear it was a police convention sometimes.

Especially on that 10 mile stretch on rt 95 along the Georgia South Carolina line (both sides was ambushes) This was where (2) seperate occasions, I had troopers shooting laser from overhead bridges with a fleet of chase cars at his disposal. Then just another 2-3 miles they had another group of unmarked vehicles up on a hill at an on ramp shooting Ka I/O from behind.

Waze work's great but I had many false's do to them leaving their spot. And doesn't help when they are on the move.

When you return to Florida you'll get to enjoy the long long long line to get back in, At the first rest stop they are stopping every car coming in and asking questions. Certain states they are looking for. But it's a pain in the a**.

Safe travel's.

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi, have a safe trip.
Traffic is picking up do to restrictions being lifted and people are getting out.

Just did a trip from Pa. to WinterHaven Florida and back to Pa. 2 weeks ago. Seen lots a traps.
Had cruisers in the woods in between lanes. Roll up behind you in unmarked, then paint you with I/O. (Had that happen several times, I guess because I had Pa. Tags). My Pro-m went full tilt screaming with I/O Ka several times but never saw them.

Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina where pretty light on police presence with only occasional hits. Classic text book encounters.

But South Carolina, Georgia and Florida was pretty intense, They were definitely into replenishing their state revenue mood.

Lots of unmarked Chargers, Durangos, 2-mustangs, and Explorers. A few Sheriff ford 4dr black pickups, lettered but now light bars.

We had periods of nothing and then I swear it was a police convention sometimes.

Especially on that 10 mile stretch on rt 95 along the Georgia South Carolina line (both sides was ambushes) This was where (2) seperate occasions, I had troopers shooting laser from overhead bridges with a fleet of chase cars at his disposal. Then just another 2-3 miles they had another group of unmarked vehicles up on a hill at an on ramp shooting Ka I/O from behind.

Waze work's great but I had many false's do to them leaving their spot. And doesn't help when they are on the move.

When you return to Florida you'll get to enjoy the long long long line to get back in, At the first rest stop they are stopping every car coming in and asking questions. Certain states they are looking for. But it's a pain in the a**.

Safe travel's.
" They were definitely into replenishing their state revenue mood.". FACT!
Thanks for the heads up.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm planning to drive from Orlando to Columbia next month, did it a couple of times before, most recent less that 2 years ago. I'm a hard Waze and V1 user and since I'll be on a rented car ALP will not be available. Normally I take 4 to Daytona Beach then I95 all the way to 26. Use to do 85ish with low Waze or V1 activity, no issues. Does things changed significantly on regards of LEOs hotspots and stuff? Thanks in advance! :)
My recent trip from Orlando to Columbia SC was with much bad weather. It rained dogs and cats on I-95 northbound through Florida often driving slowly due to poor visibility. Needless to say, law enforcement was not out. The weather was better during my travels northbound on I-95 through Georgia, but the rain was on and off. Not a single Georgia highway patrol spotted probably due to bad weather. I drove at a safe speed. Driving through SC, I spotted only one SC highway patrol running KA band. The video attached is from that encounter.

I know this info provides little value, but I guess it was God’s will.

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My recent trip from Orlando to Columbia SC was with much bad weather. It rained dogs and cats on I-95 northbound through Florida often driving slowly due to poor visibility. Needless to say, law enforcement was not out. The weather was better during my travels northbound on I-95 through Georgia, but the rain was on and off. Not a single Georgia highway patrol spotted probably due to bad weather. I drove at a safe speed. Driving through SC, I spotted only one SC highway patrol running KA band. The video attached is from that encounter.

I know this info provides little value, but I guess it was God’s will.

Thank you!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBlackKnight239