Advice needed: Orlando Fl to Columbia Sc

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to drive next month from Orlando Fl to Columbia SC. Have done it before, a couple of times, most recent about 2 years ago.
Route will be Orlando to Daytona Beach on 4 then I95 until 26 all the way to Columbia.

Somebody familiar with the route, hot spots for LEOs and stuff? I know it's pretty much long and open stretches, I'm a Waze and V1 user but since I'll be on a rented car
my ALP will not be available.
Previous times I was able to maintain 85ish all the time, with very occasional Waze and V1 warnings, no problem whatsoever.

Just want to know if there's any significant update.

Thanks in advance!

Doug:)

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Usually some action around the FL/GA border. Do you have andriod? If so try out either JBV1 or highwayradar, it has a heatmap option that shows the hotspots where police are most commonly reported. It can also give you longer range notifications of police reported In Waze. If you have andriod and the Bluetooth for your V1 JBV1 integrates with the V1 nicely and gives more control and information.

6thgear

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In late Feb, I did the reverse of your trip. SC was quite, North GA had some local enforcement hiding over the crest of an overpass using some long I/O that was RF.
Florida around St Augustine on FHP in median with laser.
@thebravo suggestions were spot on.
Safe travels.
Post automatically merged:

Seems 95 in GA at least from my limited experience is not enforced at the same level of 75 in GA.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the OP is able to access the replies to his post any longer now that it's been moved to an Int+ section.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the OP is able to access the replies to his post any longer now that it's been moved to an Int+ section.
Moved to Southwest, my US-Geography is not great, so let me know if it is incorrect.

USAir767

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Watch out for LIDAr in Georgia
I haven't seen much on i26 from 95 to Columbia, but it's usually SCHP running 35.5 or 34.7

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally, I would not run much over the speed limit in either FL or GA without jammers, particularly in GA where lidar enforcement is heavy including rear and overpass shots. I'd recommend to watch the speed anywhere near the FL/GA border as that is one of the heaviest enforcement areas in the whole country. In SC I'd be a little more comfortable as lidar use is less common but it is still out there. I/O is a threat in SC and GA - FL mostly runs C/O but you will still see the occasional use of I/O. Be aware of the Super Speeder law in GA for speeds in excess of 84 mph.

DOUG773

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
In late Feb, I did the reverse of your trip. SC was quite, North GA had some local enforcement hiding over the crest of an overpass using some long I/O that was RF.
Florida around St Augustine on FHP in median with laser.
@thebravo suggestions were spot on.
Safe travels.

Seems 95 in GA at least from my limited experience is not enforced at the same level of 75 in GA.
Thank you so much! Drive safe.

Personally, I would not run much over the speed limit in either FL or GA without jammers, particularly in GA where lidar enforcement is heavy including rear and overpass shots. I'd recommend to watch the speed anywhere near the FL/GA border as that is one of the heaviest enforcement areas in the whole country. In SC I'd be a little more comfortable as lidar use is less common but it is still out there. I/O is a threat in SC and GA - FL mostly runs C/O but you will still see the occasional use of I/O. Be aware of the Super Speeder law in GA for speeds in excess of 84 mph.
Ouch! I was damm lucky last time as I've crossed that area doing 90 something! Had just 3 or 4 Waze warnings for hidden LEOs , fortunately with enough notice to slow down.
Really apreciated your advice!

Usually some action around the FL/GA border. Do you have andriod? If so try out either JBV1 or highwayradar, it has a heatmap option that shows the hotspots where police are most commonly reported. It can also give you longer range notifications of police reported In Waze. If you have andriod and the Bluetooth for your V1 JBV1 integrates with the V1 nicely and gives more control and information.
Thanks a lot, appreciated!

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ouch! I was damm lucky last time as I've crossed that area doing 90 something! Had just 3 or 4 Waze warnings for hidden LEOs , fortunately with enough notice to slow down.
Really apreciated your advice!
Waze can be a great resource - you should definitely run it at all times, and most of us here on the forums have gotten many saves from it. However, there are certainly ways for officers to avoid being marked on Waze, and the GSP knows what they are. They will hide and shoot you in the back with lidar in almost Edmontonian ways. I wouldn't be comfortable speeding through there using anything less than a full ALP system, Waze, and a dollop of situational awareness.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drz