WSP: "He's got 0% Fuel Remaining....Let's initiate a high speed chase!"

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
So I'm on my way to work this morning when a stolen vehicle report comes across the scanner on Wisconsin State Patrol's frequency. Evidently some idiots stole a newer truck in Minnesota and were on their way to Milwaukee.

At first I just heard the description and that they had a GPS fix on the truck so they could tell exactly where it was and at that time it was on I-94 just east of Madison. I hear a few more random updates but then I hear a more interesting piece of information: They must have been working with OnStar or whatever because they not only knew the vehicle's location, but other data like the remaining fuel. The remaining fuel was being reported at 0%

Now one of the smart ones says: "Hey, if it's 0%, let's just keep an eye on them and wait until they fill up". Well, I guess that went over like a fart in church because a few minutes later I hear: "I'm right behind him and he's exiting the highway." To which I retort to myself in the car, "Well duh, he needs gas". Then the same trooper gets back on the horn with "Oh! Now he's reentering the highway headed back Westbound!".......Do you think maybe it was because you were "right behind him" and making him nervous?? Possibly he wanted to see if you just happened to exit behind him or were actually after him? Then the trooper comes back again with "Attempting to stop!"

A high speed chase ensues with speeds in excess of 105 through construction zones. Troopers ahead scramble to get spike strips.....etc. I have no idea how it ended as I had to get out of my car and get into work. Hopefully I'll find out later. Either way. This was really dumb in my opinion.

They knew where the car was at all times.
They knew he was almost out of fuel.
Yet, they decided to initiate a high speed chase.

It's for da safety!

ETA: Full audio in @InsipidMonkey 's post below: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/100032/post-1441656

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a feed on Broadcastify? Let me know and I can download the recording.

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
Is there a feed on Broadcastify? Let me know and I can download the recording.
I'm not familiar with Broadcastify but it should be Deforest branch Wisconsin state patrol and possible South East branch. Between 8:15 and 9 something. I got out of the car at 8:35 or so.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have to agree with @OBeerWANKenobi pretty dumb move by the cop.

In BC the law limits when police can initiate a chase/continue and the police can be charged if they violate it. A stolen vehicle isn't reason enough on its own for the police to continue a chase. Of course this means a lot more people don't pull over for the cops.

Perhaps being limited on being able to chase creates some ingenuity like waiting for him to fill up for fuel to make the arrest. That would have been much safer than roaring through construction zones.

Dumb move!

Last edited:

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not able to find any articles on this at this time. Then again, that would require news agencies to do actual work.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Broadcastify but it should be Deforest branch Wisconsin state patrol and possible South East branch. Between 8:15 and 9 something. I got out of the car at 8:35 or so.
I checked a few feeds, but couldn't find anything. If you get a chance, check out the WI page and see if there is a feed that covers what you were listening to: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/stid/55

Edit: Nevermind, I somehow missed the clearly labeled "Southeast WI State Patrol" feed. Splicing together and uploading now :)

Last edited:

Blindfingers

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If it was in fact Onstar, then Onstar can shut a car down. It's part of their service.

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Staff
If it was in fact Onstar, then Onstar can shut a car down. It's part of their service.
Interesting! I have no idea what they were actually using though, just threw out "OnStar" as a guess.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is the entire incident, silence removed to edit it down to ~18 mins. Enjoy :)

Attachments

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is the entire incident, silence removed to edit it down to ~18 mins. Enjoy :)

Thanks a lot Monkey!

It's even worse than I remembered......and it WAS OnStar!

"terminate pursuit if workers present."
nahhhhhhhhh, they're on the other side of the Jersey barrier, that outghta' protect 'em, driving fast is fun!
"I'm not sure if you heard but there is zero percent fuel, ZERO percent."
Yeah yeah, who cares, I'm getting it on over here.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Monkey!

It's even worse than I remembered......and it WAS OnStar!

"terminate pursuit if workers present."
nahhhhhhhhh, they're on the other side of the Jersey barrier, that outghta' protect 'em, driving fast is fun!
"I'm not sure if you heard but there is zero percent fuel, ZERO percent."
Yeah yeah, who cares, I'm getting it on over here.
I'm sure this officer was all hyped up on andreline to be in a high speed chase because he thought it was cool, not for safety...

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ford is onstar? I thought that was GM only... should be sync... and I doubt that pushes shutdown commands...

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ford is onstar? I thought that was GM only... should be sync... and I doubt that pushes shutdown commands...
They said OnStar on the radio but maybe they are just using it generically like "Kleenex"? Maybe Ford's system cant shut down the vehicle..........well.....on purpose anyway.... :razz:

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

What morons. They should have just dispatched a bunch of cops to the next gas station and had them hide somewhere, waited until the vehicle pulled into the station, and surrounded him there.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no Onstar in the Ford. I'm not sure if the Ford SYNC will shut down vehicles or not.

That was just idiotic to start a chase. They could put some unmarked cars on it and find a time to take them down.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm on my way to work this morning when a stolen vehicle report comes across the scanner on Wisconsin State Patrol's frequency. Evidently some idiots stole a newer truck in Minnesota and were on their way to Milwaukee.

At first I just heard the description and that they had a GPS fix on the truck so they could tell exactly where it was and at that time it was on I-94 just east of Madison. I hear a few more random updates but then I hear a more interesting piece of information: They must have been working with OnStar or whatever because they not only knew the vehicle's location, but other data like the remaining fuel. The remaining fuel was being reported at 0%

Now one of the smart ones says: "Hey, if it's 0%, let's just keep an eye on them and wait until they fill up". Well, I guess that went over like a fart in church because a few minutes later I hear: "I'm right behind him and he's exiting the highway." To which I retort to myself in the car, "Well duh, he needs gas". Then the same trooper gets back on the horn with "Oh! Now he's reentering the highway headed back Westbound!".......Do you think maybe it was because you were "right behind him" and making him nervous?? Possibly he wanted to see if you just happened to exit behind him or were actually after him? Then the trooper comes back again with "Attempting to stop!"

A high speed chase ensues with speeds in excess of 105 through construction zones. Troopers ahead scramble to get spike strips.....etc. I have no idea how it ended as I had to get out of my car and get into work. Hopefully I'll find out later. Either way. This was really dumb in my opinion.

They knew where the car was at all times.
They knew he was almost out of fuel.
Yet, they decided to initiate a high speed chase.

It's for da safety!

ETA: Full audio in @InsipidMonkey 's post below: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/100032/post-1441656
The cowboy mentality is alive and well in law enforcement. Why try a low risk stop of the suspect when there's an opportunity for a good old fashioned high speed chase?

radargoat

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of this old ABC commercial:

"The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat!"

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members