Recommendations for Android Smart Watch

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Time for a new watch, and I've decided it's time to join the 21st century and get a smart watch.

Criteria:

Large face ~44mm
NFC
IP68
Reasonable battery life - subjective I know ;-)

Optional but desired:
Mic/speaker
Wireless charging
Waterproof to 1 ATM/33 feet

I've started to do some research, but I'm very interested to hear from anyone who had hands-on experience.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So far, my favorite has been my ticwatch pro 4g. It ticks all your boxes except wireless charging.

I can get about a week battery life in auto mode (it has 2 displays, an oled for the smartwatch and a old school liquid crystal display which uses virtually no power).

Waterproof and swimmable with, big display, nfc, mic and speaker.

Ive had almost every android smartwatch and this is the one that makes me least want to run it over with my car. This one i actually enjoy wearing and using.
Heres some pics of the dual overlaid display:

IMG_20200520_211308.jpg
IMG_20200520_211246.jpg

All that being said, android wear is pretty shit 😂

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So far, my favorite has been my ticwatch pro 4g. It ticks all your boxes except wireless charging.

I can get about a week battery life in auto mode (it has 2 displays, an oled for the smartwatch and a old school liquid crystal display which uses virtually no power).

Waterproof and swimmable with, big display, nfc, mic and speaker.

Ive had almost every android smartwatch and this is the one that makes me least want to run it over with my car. This one i actually enjoy wearing and using.
Heres some pics of the dual overlaid display:

View attachment 148063View attachment 148064

All that being said, android wear is pretty shit 😂
That's one that I've been looking at (5 gen though) but I saw a poor review on Amazon regarding battery life, which you've now alleviated for me.

I don't own Apple so shit it must be :laugh:

Thanks!

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's one that I've been looking at but Isaw a poor review on Amazon regarding battery life, which you've now alleviated for me.

I don't own Apple so shit it must be :laugh:

Thanks!
If you use the oled display only, battery will last about a day or so. If you let it auto switch between the two displays, mine lasts 5ish days. If you leave it in essential mode only, it's about a month but thats without the smart features.

No complaints on battery life from me. And I never shut off wifi, bluetooth, nfc, or lte

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you use the oled display only, battery will last about a day or so. If you let it auto switch between the two displays, mine lasts 5ish days. If you leave it in essential mode only, it's about a month but thats without the smart features.

No complaints on battery life from me. And I never shut off wifi, bluetooth, nfc, or lte
Master of squirrels and smart watches! What more could a man be :roflolmao:

Sincerely, you've helped me a lot!

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Master of squirrels and smart watches! What more could a man be :roflolmao:

Sincerely, you've helped me a lot!
If you weren't in America Jr. I'd offer to ship mine to you so you can try it out for a bit and decide if you want one for yourself.

I will say my only complaint about it is that the LTE is only verizon wireless so i need an extra whole plan with vzw just to use the LTE option.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you weren't in America Jr. I'd offer to ship mine to you so you can try it out for a bit and decide if you want one for yourself.

I will say my only complaint about it is that the LTE is only verizon wireless so i need an extra whole plan with vzw just to use the LTE option.
Sneezing

Amazingly generous offer though.

We've got to get the heart eyes replaced with two thumbs up or something though LOL

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Any experience with Samsung Galaxy Watch running their propriety OS?

It and the TicWatch Pro 2020 (no LTE version) are my shortlist.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Any experience with Samsung Galaxy Watch running their propriety OS?

It and the TicWatch Pro 2020 (no LTE version) are my shortlist.
I had a samsung watch with their Tizen OS. Wasnt a fan but that was a long time ago. When i last looked, i liked the watch hardware but decided against it for software reasons. I forget what the reasons exactly were but i think it was some bratty, nit-picking bullshit along the lines of "i want google assistant instead of samsung's shitxby"

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had a samsung watch with their Tizen OS. Wasnt a fan but that was a long time ago. When i last looked, i liked the watch hardware but decided against it for software reasons. I forget what the reasons exactly were but i think it was some bratty, nit-picking bullshit along the lines of "i want google assistant instead of samsung's shitxby"
LOL exactly my thinking on every point.

Thanks - I'll update what I decide.

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just ordered the TicWatch Pro 2020 (no built-in cellular) from Amazon.

I wish it had better waterproof depth like the 5ATM of Samsung, but I'm in. I'm partial to 'pure' Google Android OS vs other manufacturers' variations.

I'll update my thoughts after I've used it a bit for anyone that's interested.

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
When you think about it, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on it.

I doubt I'm in the market for another watch now, but the Amazon listing and reviews for your watch looked terrific. I have been wearing a Garmin 235 for a couple of years, and it's ok, I run 40-45 minutes 4 times a week and easily get more than a week out of the charge, have added several apps I like to it, but it's pretty plain Jane. It's probably "smarter" than most realize, but it's not a smart watch. I get text messages, notification of phone calls, calendar and appointments, to do lists, weather, minutecast, etc., in addition to all of the fitness and gps stuff, so it's OK. No microphone or anything like that. I see the price on it is down to $160 now, so I would still recommend it at that price for sure.

Anyway, I always enjoy reading about new watches and would be interested in the TicWatch. I love that battery life. I cannot stand to have to charge a watch daily or every couple of days, and yours takes it to the extreme.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbny025