Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ugh, that's going to cause additional problems, due to stupid implementations on some client devices. Ideally, you'll want an SSID that's shared between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, as well as a 5 GHz-only and a 2.4 GHz-only SSID. I run all 3 types across both bands, and here's why:

1. For clients that have a sensible implementation (prioritize 5 GHz SSID if available, connect to 2.4 GHz if 5 GHz is weak or unavailable), I give them only the SSID shared across both bands. This includes all Android and iOS devices.

2. For clients that have a poor implementation of roaming between bands (like Mac OS), I give them the SSIDs unique to each band and set the priority of the 5 GHz band higher than that of the 2.4 GHz band. If I switch on the WiFi within range of the 5 GHz SSID, they'll connect to that. But if I switch on the WiFi out of range of the 5 GHz SSID, they'll connect to the 2.4 GHz SSID. Having both SSIDs allows me to force them to connect to the 5 GHz SSID if I go within range of it after previously being out of range of it. Had I given them the SSID that's shared across both bands, I would not only not have an easy way to see which band they are connected to (except by going to About This Mac->System Report->WiFi), but also no way to force connection to the other band except by turning WiFi off and then back on again...and then I'd have to verify bands by the procedure I already mentioned.

Yeah that makes sense. It would definitely be nice to have the additional control over SSIDs and frequencies in that way.

I take it that's one of the advantages of choosing a nicer system, perhaps something from Ubiquiti, for example? What are some of the other advantages over the consumer grade hardware I'm running? Obviously it's a little too late for me now since I've already committed and set things up with the Orbi, but I'm still curious about the other benefits, even if the Orbi otherwise still does the job for me.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. It would definitely be nice to have the additional control over SSIDs and frequencies in that way.

I take it that's one of the advantages of choosing a nicer system, perhaps something from Ubiquiti, for example? What are some of the other advantages over the consumer grade hardware I'm running? Obviously it's a little too late for me now since I've already committed and set things up with the Orbi, but I'm still curious about the other benefits, even if the Orbi otherwise still does the job for me.
Oh, I should mention that (at least for Android devices), you're actually REQUIRED to have a single, shared SSID across both bands. Because those devices will intelligently roam between bands, provided that the SSID is shared. But if the SSID is not shared, then they can latch onto the 2.4 GHz SSID and won't ever get off of it unless you go into the menu and force them over. There's also no way to set SSID priorities on Android, so you can't guarantee that it'll choose the 5 GHz SSID over the 2.4 GHz SSID -- only way is to have only one shared SSID to get the desired behavior of using 5 GHz when available and 2.4 GHz when necessary.

So yeah, Android = requires shared SSID. Mac OS = requires separate SSIDs.

Rossm812

Constantly Learning...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Oh, I should mention that (at least for Android devices), you're actually REQUIRED to have a single, shared SSID across both bands. Because those devices will intelligently roam between bands, provided that the SSID is shared. But if the SSID is not shared, then they can latch onto the 2.4 GHz SSID and won't ever get off of it unless you go into the menu and force them over. There's also no way to set SSID priorities on Android, so you can't guarantee that it'll choose the 5 GHz SSID over the 2.4 GHz SSID -- only way is to have only one shared SSID to get the desired behavior of using 5 GHz when available and 2.4 GHz when necessary.

So yeah, Android = requires shared SSID. Mac OS = requires separate SSIDs.
I really like with the ubiquity stuff you can do band steering. It works pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I love Ubiquity stuff too.

1590968188674.png

I got 2 more AP for indoors, and 4 more for outdoors to do. Then I got to get the surveillance camera switches connected. Lots to do lol

PS Don't rob my house please?.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Vortex
Glad your happy with it.
I noticed my Apple Watch is at 2.4 as well. Could be it’s not capable of 5G?

Anyhow... anything that’s capable of 5G is at 5G without my intervention. It just does it. My stepson has the only Android. It’s not on the network right now, so I can’t see what it’s on.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, Apple Watch is 2.4 GHz only. I suspect that was chosen because of the better range for 2.4 GHz as the longer wavelengths pass better through walls and other obstacles while still proving adequate throughput for the needs of an Apple Watch.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, Apple Watch is 2.4 GHz only. I suspect that was chosen because of the better range for 2.4 GHz as the longer wavelengths pass better through walls and other obstacles while still proving adequate throughput for the needs of an Apple Watch.
Makes sense. It already has such a small foot print with not a ton of room in it..... it’s more about connecting than speed.

You make a great point. Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never liked cloud managed anything. And while I wouldn't have ever touched Ubiquiti gear, there should be plenty of reasons why no one else should touch it with a 10' pole: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26638145
I didn’t think using their UniFi stuff required that you manage everything in their cloud. It’s strange that would even be a thing. I can understand requiring an account to get firmware updates or whatever, but not managing the network exclusively through their cloud service.

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I didn’t think using their UniFi stuff required that you manage everything in their cloud. It’s strange that would even be a thing. I can understand requiring an account to get firmware updates or whatever, but not managing the network exclusively through their cloud service.

You could definitely run UniFi stuff without a cloud account, but it isn't a supported method and requires considerable knowledge about the system since it all has to be done via command line.

You can also run your own controller, but your user credentials would still be at risk from this breach.

DrHow

Going Plaid+ (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never liked cloud managed anything. And while I wouldn't have ever touched Ubiquiti gear, there should be plenty of reasons why no one else should touch it with a 10' pole: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26638145
Many times we do not agree... This time we do... Ubiquiti should never be used by anyone. Let alone anyone who is in the IT biz, or runs a IT shop. IMO, their breaches exfiltrating live data to that giant big data ChiCom hacking op is well known. Now we see the sloppy greasy hair pony tail cubicle punk admin use “default default default” already weakened el-cheapo LastPass platform. Which Allowed the already easy to exploit U game boy security platform to be crushed.
Post automatically merged:

You could definitely run UniFi stuff without a cloud account, but it isn't a supported method and requires considerable knowledge about the system since it all has to be done via command line.

You can also run your own controller, but your user credentials would still be at risk from this breach.
Their APs to many folks are just another slack jawed IOT device... compromise city, regardless of cloud orchestration or not.

Last edited:

jon5

PSL + (O / U)
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Do you happen to know any details? What is it? A linux based system? Openwrt-ish, perhaps?

Many times we do not agree... This time we do... Ubiquiti should never be used by anyone. Let alone anyone who is in the IT biz, or runs a IT shop. IMO, their breaches exfiltrating live data to that giant big data ChiCom hacking op is well known. Now we see the sloppy greasy hair pony tail cubicle punk admin use “default default default” already weakened el-cheapo LastPass platform. Which Allowed the already easy to exploit U game boy security platform to be crushed.
I'll have to disagree with the blanket statement, while i would never run any routing equipment that doesn't run openwrt, UI's wireless backhauls are second-to-none at their price point.

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I want to see Vortex create a wireless network that runs on Ka band.

jon5

PSL + (O / U)
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I want to see Vortex create a wireless network that runs on Ka band.
Take a look at 5G band n260 and n261. Already done. (granted they aren't on the usual ranges)

The k-band (n258) is in use already in Atlanta for Verizon's 5G network. Just one more thing to clutter up the k-band.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49