Modifying my home network

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So funny story. I spent a couple hours this morning troubleshooting why I couldn’t download faster than 90 Mbps.

I used to have 275 Mb down with Xfinity and since 90 was fast enough for what I needed, I always wrote it off as “meh, Comcast sucks.”

I upgraded my modem today to gigabit mainly for faster uploads. My upload speeds jumped from 12 Mb to 35-40, but download speeds stayed capped at 90. Wtf... I’m running gigabit everywhere and have no problem transferring files around my home network at gigabit speeds.

Well after a couple hours of troubleshooting and phone calls, I figured out it was the Ethernet cable that runs between the cable modem and my router. It’s a Cat 5E cable according to the sheathing, but it only had 4 wires at the connectors! No wonder!

57E83096-B354-4B39-9DDF-68AB5A45530C.jpeg

I swapped it out for a better cable and now it's all good.

I get 1.0 Gb down at the router which is amazing. Passing through my WiFi router's ethernet switch, it drops to 650. Hopefully the Orbi's ethernet allows me to still get full speeds when I run through it. That's still plenty in practice, but hey, it'd be nice to get the full speeds I'm paying for. :)

That cable... What a stupid reason to have all my downloads bottlenecked, haha.

Last edited:

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So funny story. I spent a couple hours this morning troubleshooting why I couldn’t download faster than 90 Mbps.

I used to have 275 Mb down with Xfinity and since 90 was fast enough for what I needed, I always wrote it off as “meh, Comcast sucks.”

I upgraded my modem today to gigabit mainly for faster uploads. My upload speeds jumped from 12 Mb to 35-40, but download speeds stayed capped at 90. Wtf... I’m running gigabit everywhere and have no problem transferring files around my home network at gigabit speeds.

Well after a couple hours of troubleshooting and phone calls, I figured out it was the Ethernet cable that runs between the cable modem and my router. It’s a Cat 5E cable according to the sheathing, but it only had 4 wires at the connectors! No wonder!

View attachment 148222

I get 1.0 Gb down at the router which is amazing. Passing through my WiFi router's ethernet switch, it drops to 650. Hopefully the Orbi's ethernet allows me to still get full speeds when I run through it. That's still plenty in practice, but hey, it'd be nice to get the full speeds I'm paying for. :)

Did Comcast give you the CBR (aka "Comcast Business Router") modem? It looks like this and has CBR-T/CGA4131COM written on the bottom.

comcast_business_cbr_image.png

This thing is what they apparently use for gigabit. They tried to push me onto one of these devices when I upgraded my plan (though not all the way to gigabit) and I quickly found out that these things are pieces of junk. They will give other devices blocks of IP addresses via DHCPv6-PD, but won't actually route to those addresses...meaning that my IPv6 configuration was completely broken, and they had no plan or timeline for fixing the firmware. So, I had to go through a 2-3 week process that involved 3 different technicians visiting before they finally were able to figure out how to get their systems to allow them to swap this thing out for their older brand of modem (on which DHCPv6-PD and routing works properly).

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, that's messed up.

I've always used my own modems that I purchase separately so I don't have to pay the monthly fee. Up until now I'd been using an Arris SB6190 that I picked up used from @sdrawkcaB and it's been great. I was wanting to stick with it, even if it couldn't do full gigabit speeds, but Xfinity wasn't able to upgrade my service if I stuck with the modem so I just upgraded to the SB8200 to get DOCSIS 3.1.

That IPV6 assignment problem sounds like a headache and I'm surprised it was even an issue in the first place.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
So many complications and suggestions. I am lucky we have FIOS so I can connect Verizon's own router to ONT, then connect a 16-port Netgear switch with PoE to router and for all Wi-Fi needs connect Netgear WAC540 wifi AP to the switch. This AP covers all 3 floors of the house and has 3 radios (one 2.4Ghz and 2 separate 5 Ghz band radios) and does not need controller software running on some other device like Ubiquiti's stuff. As a person who had many issues with Ubiquiti's firmware (they always introduce more bugs with each new firmware release) I am glad I switched to Netgear.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've always used my own modems that I purchase separately so I don't have to pay the monthly fee. Up until now I'd been using an Arris SB6190 that I picked up used from @sdrawkcaB and it's been great. I was wanting to stick with it, even if it couldn't do full gigabit speeds, but Xfinity wasn't able to upgrade my service if I stuck with the modem so I just upgraded to the SB8200 to get DOCSIS 3.1.

That IPV6 assignment problem sounds like a headache and I'm surprised it was even an issue in the first place.
Yeah, it's really messed up. And, I don't have the option to use my own modem because I have static IP addresses https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/use-your-own-comcast-business-modem-device/

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

@Vortex - That seems a little odd that they wouldn't let you upgrade service. That modem with DOCSIS 3.0 and bonded at 32 x 8 channels can actually reach 1.4Gbps down on the coax side. Terribly sorry that they forced you off of it. I suppose put it up for sale while it's still worth something. I expected they would continue supporting DOCSIS 3.0. I've gotten lots of bad information from Comcast reps over the years and had to go to their "Security Team" which is where their seasoned network engineers work, and can help out with more advanced technical issues like confirming DOCSIS provisioning files are good, removing outbound and inbound port filtering such as port 25 for hosting SMTP services, and etc.
Post automatically merged:

Now we'll be able to hopefully watch your live weekend streams uninterrupted :D

Last edited:

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Rossm812

Constantly Learning...
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny I catch this post today...

CenturyLink just upgraded us to gigabit synchronous fiber (1 gig up and down) ...

I just ordered an Edgerouter from ubiquiti and some of their Unifi AP HD Nano access points. I have a decent asus router that was $275 new and it just doesn't seem to be up to the task.

I'll be dumping the CL Gateway and connecting the Edgerouter directly to the ONT with the settings necessary to handle the connectivity configuration.

It should be a lot more robust network and the router has some basic firewall configuration.

The consumer level mesh stuff will likely be easier to configure for you if you don't have a lot of experience with setting up things in either CLI or an advanced GUI

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

View attachment 148222

You might have had a cable issue but those are the only 4 wires used in the ethernet cable (pins 1-2-4-5) and 5E is enough to support a gigabit connection so long as it is not more than about 1000 feet in length.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You might have had a cable issue but those are the only 4 wires used in the ethernet cable (pins 1-2-4-5) and 5E is enough to support a gigabit connection so long as it is not more than about 1000 feet in length.
Really? I thought that that wiring configuration was limited to 10/100. When I swapped the cable out for an 8 wire one (the cable was maybe 3 feet long), my speeds jumped to gigabit instantly.

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Really? I thought that that wiring configuration was limited to 10/100. When I swapped the cable out for an 8 wire one (the cable was maybe 3 feet long), my speeds jumped to gigabit instantly.
Yea, you may have found a bad cable. I misspoke earlier. Pins 1-2-3-6 are the only pins used for the network connection. Pins 7-8 are used for power over ethernet. Pins 4-5 are used for voice connections and in the case of detectors, power. Ha.
Sorry I misspoke earlier, I have many years of cable experience but moved into mgmt years ago and seems I‘m a bit rusty.

Gigabit networking was out prior to the CAT6 standards. 10/100 limitation would be for more a CAT3 cable. Even then, I have used a single CAT3 to supply networking and two phone lines. Not perfect with the crosstalk but it worked in the office I was in many years ago.

Last edited:

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I concur with the explanation by R4D4RUS3R. Nice job. I believe the old cable that vortex replaced was just a wimpy CAT 5 cable. And, just for kicks, here is a pic of my over-the-top insane home network.

Cheers

Attachments

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That looks great! I love the short cables too. :)

Yeah I’m not sure what was up with my wonky cable. It explicitly said Cat 5E in it and I got rid of any remaining Cat 5 cables ages ago. Maybe it was a cheapy mislabeled cable? Oh well... :)

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
1000Base-T cannot work over 4 pins. The standard dictates 4 pairs of differential lanes which means you need all 8 pins in order to send data. PoE is sent over 4 of those pins overlapping with the data.

1000Base-T will work on Cat 5e up to 300ft.

So a CAT5e cable with only 4 pins will not work on gigabit.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I concur with the explanation by R4D4RUS3R. Nice job. I believe the old cable that vortex replaced was just a wimpy CAT 5 cable. And, just for kicks, here is a pic of my over-the-top insane home network.

Cheers
Here is my over the top home network... For wifi I have 5 Nest WiFi Routers all wired over cat 6 cable.

@PY004 is correct you need 8 wires to get gigabit speeds.
20200523_155024.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Since this has turned into a my home network thread. I have a fortigate 60e with dual WAN’s. Primary WAN is 200/200 fiber and secondary WAN is a 25/2 cable line. I am running HP pro curve gig switches and two unifi AC pro AP’s.

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I stand corrected. The explanation by PY004 (Gigabit requires 4 pairs) is best.
Cheers
agree as well that my info was a bit out of date. I only use 8 pin cables but it used to be the case that only two pair were needed for data. I would not have used a 4 wire cable but good info to know. I would like to be able to go back and revise my post but its too old now.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rush2112md