When its time to move on

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
So my main detector since mid 2012 has been my then-new V1 but I recently bought a Cobra Road Scout since its basically a better filtered DSP9200BT with dashcam. I've had said 9200 as a backup and Ka 34.7 has always seemed fairly comparable to my V1. I'm also going to buy an R3 for peace of mind.

My question is, I've never updated my V1. Can I still update it given the current situation or should I just cut my losses? If so, I'm thinking I'll just put it on fleabay to recoup the cost of one of the new detectors. If I can update it, is it worth it before I sell?
 

CobawLT2010

Batteries can’t save us!
Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
7,490
Reaction score
3,983
Location
Mining in the DRC!
So my main detector since mid 2012 has been my then-new V1 but I recently bought a Cobra Road Scout since its basically a better filtered DSP9200BT with dashcam. I've had said 9200 as a backup and Ka 34.7 has always seemed fairly comparable to my V1. I'm also going to buy an R3 for peace of mind.

My question is, I've never updated my V1. Can I still update it given the current situation or should I just cut my losses? If so, I'm thinking I'll just put it on fleabay to recoup the cost of one of the new detectors. If I can update it, is it worth it before I sell?
It’ll likely need a hardware change. Do you know the version of it. I wouldn’t use a cobra if you paid me to... uniden or Valentine escort is okay... radenso maybe...
 

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
6,167
Reaction score
7,668
If you want to find out if you can still update the V1, you should be calling them directly instead of asking for wild speculations here on RDF.... With the SN they will tell you immediately what they can do for you.
 

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
3,624
Reaction score
5,624
Location
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Simply go to the V1 Website, then to the update page, then enter your serial number. If it says you need the $79 update that is available, I say just keep using your V1. If it needs the currently not available full replacement update, I say again hold onto it. Now after both of those, I say don't bother buying an R3 but sell the Cobra while it still has some valve. Now with the money you saved from not buying an R3 and selling the Cobra, put that toward either the next V1 whether it is a new updated model or just updating yours when available. Or save all that money and put it toward the Radenso Theia when it becomes available.

A rumor is you will only have to wait about 6 weeks to see what is up with Valentine One.

To recap, I would not update the V1 now, I would not buy an R3, I would sell the Cobra, and save every penny to buy a Radenso Theia when available. I don't see that you are complaining about getting ticket after ticket with the V1 so use it until we all know what VR is doing and when the Theia might be available.

That is what I would do so that is my advice to you.
 

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
I'm a $79 update person and I've known that. I've been following the V1 drama at arms length and wasn't sure if these folks were still having their updates honored or not.

I'm not here to say a Cobra is a V1. The only reason I was willing to give the Road Scout a try is b/c it's the same internals as the DSP9200BT, a known decent detector (per testing searchable on here) with better filtering that was evidently one of the first products of the Escort merger. I have one of those I keep as a backup. I'd been wanting a dash cam and GPS lockouts and figured I'd give it a try. I've still got plenty of time to return it. Yes, the V1 has always worked for me. I've just always dorked around with other detectors and put Belscourts in my wife's car for quietness day to day (but then put in the V1 for road trips).
Post automatically merged:

Just to add, I looked back at my old posts and see I bought my V1 in 2013, not 2012. And I have the original V1 Connection but haven't used it in years. I was totally oblivious to JBV1 until getting back on this forum a few weeks back. I have misplaced my double outlet for the bluetooth dongle, though.
 
Last edited:

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
May 31, 2014
Messages
1,707
Reaction score
3,271
Location
Alberta, Canada
Did you say your backup was 9200 while primary was V1? Together in cabin running simultaneously?
 

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
Did you say your backup was 9200 while primary was V1? Together in cabin running simultaneously?

Lol, no. I just meant spare. I just throw it on the dash and disconnect the V1 every now and then to hear some different alert tones.
 

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
3,624
Reaction score
5,624
Location
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
OK with that update, currently I would wait on the V1. When VR announces what is coming out, then you can make a decision along these lines: if the unit that becomes available is just the current model back in stock, then send your V1 in for the $79 update, if the unit is an actual updated new model V1 then it will probably be the $289 update to get a completely new one. Which is why I haven't sent my one V1 that needs just the $79 update IE why pay $79 when a completely new V1 might be coming out shortly (I would rather put that $79 toward the $289 update if an actual new unit comes out).

Other then that, I say save your Dollars for either a real brand new updated V1 or Theia IE don't get an R3 that you would have to just sell later.
.
 

InsipidMonkey

Premium Monkey
Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2017
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
14,191
Location
New England
Just to add, I looked back at my old posts and see I bought my V1 in 2013, not 2012. And I have the original V1 Connection but haven't used it in years. I was totally oblivious to JBV1 until getting back on this forum a few weeks back. I have misplaced my double outlet for the bluetooth dongle, though.
In that case you should be good to go with JBV1! Lots of info here on getting it setup and configured. It can be daunting at first because it is so customizable, but follow Vortex's tutorial or see @Bloovy One's quick BSM settings video and you should be off to a good start.

Once you get your settings dialed in to your liking, you should be good to go for the foreseeable future. Getting used to an app now will also put you ahead of the game when Theia comes out with a hopefully much more capable API.

Both the included cigarette lighter adapter and the direct wire kit have the double outlet for the Bluetooth dongle. If you don't have either of those, a normal 4-conductor phone splitter will work. Do a search here for a few examples. Good luck!
 

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
OK with that update, currently I would wait on the V1. When VR announces what is coming out, then you can make a decision along these lines: if the unit that becomes available is just the current model back in stock, then send your V1 in for the $79 update, if the unit is an actual updated new model V1 then it will probably be the $289 update to get a completely new one. Which is why I haven't sent my one V1 that needs just the $79 update IE why pay $79 when a completely new V1 might be coming out shortly (I would rather put that $79 toward the $289 update if an actual new unit comes out).

Other then that, I say save your Dollars for either a real brand new updated V1 or Theia IE don't get an R3 that you would have to just sell later.
.

OHHHH, I see what you're saying. This rumored new hotness V1 will be a $289 update for current owners?
Post automatically merged:

In that case you should be good to go with JBV1! Lots of info here on getting it setup and configured. It can be daunting at first because it is so customizable, but follow Vortex's tutorial or see @Bloovy One's quick BSM settings video and you should be off to a good start.

Once you get your settings dialed in to your liking, you should be good to go for the foreseeable future. Getting used to an app now will also put you ahead of the game when Theia comes out with a hopefully much more capable API.

Both the included cigarette lighter adapter and the direct wire kit have the double outlet for the Bluetooth dongle. If you don't have either of those, a normal 4-conductor phone splitter will work. Do a search here for a few examples. Good luck!
Ahh, good point on the splitter!
 

VariableWave

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2017
Messages
825
Reaction score
1,377
Location
SEVa
OHHHH, I see what you're saying. This rumored new hotness V1 will be a $289 update for current owners?
We do not know yet if Valentine will maintain that cost, as integrating more items into the unit and other outside costs could increase it to say, $329 for an upgrade. There have been talk the New introduction unit could be priced higher, like $449, $479, or $499.
 

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
We do not know yet if Valentine will maintain that cost, as integrating more items into the unit and other outside costs could increase it to say, $329 for an upgrade. There have been talk the New introduction unit could be priced higher, like $449, $479, or $499.
Ahhh, I see. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Post automatically merged:

Just to update for context, I checked my sn and have a 3.893.
 
Last edited:

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
101
Location
Shreveport, LA
I ordered a replacement straight power cord (which I somehow lost) and plug from Valentine yesterday. They seemed pretty chipper for being out of business and said the part would ship same day. I'll see when it gets here.

I also ordered a Cobra DualPro 360 for my wife. No, I don't have a fetish. But if it's a cheap way into the Escort 360 platform, why not? I'm testing it out in my car today. She is primarily a city driver and I am pretty sick of calls from her while she's driving and hearing her Bel GX-65 constantly alerting to K in the background.
 

Mauserguy27

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
64
Reaction score
118
Location
Southern Ohio
When did you get rid of your V1?
after the “two weeks” turned into 6 months.

I was halfway kidding about the “move on it’s time” comment. But if OP wanted countermeasures quickly may be best to get another RD until Mike can produce again.
 

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
6,167
Reaction score
7,668
after the “two weeks” turned into 6 months.

I was halfway kidding about the “move on it’s time” comment. But if OP wanted countermeasures quickly may be best to get another RD until Mike can produce again.
was something wrong with your V1? Out of date?
 

Bloovy One

110,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2016
Messages
4,184
Reaction score
8,196
Location
Western NC
Severely out of date as I recall. ;)
 

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
81,977
Messages
1,244,290
Members
20,754
Latest member
KyndCookie
Top