The title of this thread may be a tad misleading, because 'Windshield Mount' is referring to the type of detector. It does not necessarily mean it 'must' mount on the windshield. It can be mounted on the windshield, visor, rear view mirror, headliner, top of dash, etc. I'm looking for ideas for a more rugged method of attaching the RD to the car.
Why? As the outside temperatures are soaring where I live, the good old suction cup mounts for my stuff are failing. Even if they are replaced with new, I expect the replacements to fail too in short order. From looking at what some others have done, it is apparent to me that like jammer installs, one method does not meet all needs. There is an element of creativity to it, and who knows better than you guys?
Some options I have come up with so far:
- Glue the suction cups, so they stick no matter what
- Clear silicone adhesive in the suction cups (as above, members are doing this)
- Visor clip
- Blend mount to the rear view mirror (my least favorite)
- Beanbag dash mount
- Custom mounting brackets or mods to the original
- Aftermarket RAM mount
- Visor Pouch
- 5 Minute Epoxy
- Rear deck in an enclosure
Not As Permanent:
- petroleum jelly on the cups
- Plexiglass attached with other adhesives
What do you do to provide a more durable mount for your prized radar detector? Do you have any ideas that aren't listed here? Please share, I will add to the list.